Kinetix 6000 Error 79

donnacha

Hi guys,

Required details:
Drive module type: 2094-BC02-M02
Shunt Module: 2094-BSP2

I am currently getting an error (79) on Kinetix 6000 drive module (2094-BC02-M02. The manual refers this to an over voltage fault or an over temperature fault on the shunt module. No changes made to any configuration or run settings, System age: 7 years and never have seen this problem previous.
In Logix 5000 under the related axis properties shows Axis fault: physical axis fault and Drive Fault: Drive over voltage fault.

I can clear the fault using the motion direct commands and run for a period of time but error comes in again after that.
The drive fault is E79 consistently.

I have spoken with Rockwell tech connect and they basically reiterated what I had previously read in the manual. Finally they suggested the following possible remedies: Replace the drive-Replace the shunt module-Replace the power rail

I have searched the forum but did not find any issues in relation to this error. Maybe someone can shed a little more light on the root cause.

I have attached a photo of the drives and shunt module with the error on the controller but no errors are reported on any of the other drives or shunt module. I suspect if the power rail and shunt module are common factors to all devices I would suspect errors across the other drives also. The manual or tech connect don't suspect the motor may cause these issues? Any advice/insight/experience welcome.

Donnacha

kinetix error.jpg

Last edited:
Fault finding stuff that you have probably already done

1) Has anything changed?
Mechanically - Has the high inertial load axis had extra weight added recently
This fault will always be on the BC02 as it controls the bus
Electrically - any modules replaced?
Software - has the program been downloaded?​
2) Use RSLogix 5000 Trends
Trend DC Bus voltage (Need to add it to any axis properties)
Actual Torque on all axes
Does your shunt module use only internal resistance or does it have an external resistance?

Check the TS1 TS2 connections? jumpered

The shunt module is trying to dump excess energy from the DC bus into a resistor - (internal or external) or has been used to add extra capacitance to the DC bus to cope with a very short term load (not likely)
The IAM module must be told that the shunt module exists (in the configuration) and if using internal or external resistance so it knows how to model the energy that can be dumped into the resistor
To protect the resistor from getting too hot there is a thermal switch monitoring what is going on (terminals TS1 TS2) just in case you get the maths wrong

By trending the DC bus you may see if the resistor has given up (DC goes way too high then trips) or if the Thermal switch is playing up (DC is controlled but heats up too fast)

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
A quick update on this fault. I removed the modules from the power rail, checked connections, etc. Reset the faults using the motion direct commands. Ran the equipment without product with no errors. Scheduled run today with product for 4 hours with no issues.
Fault seems to be dormant but I have my suspicions that it will return!!

I intend on setting up a trend on the DC bus so I can hopefully capture a spike, etc, if or when it appears. I will be back to report the root cause if determined in the near future. In the meantime I have ordered a drive and motor to have as spare should they be required.

Thanks for the above input.

Regards,
Donnacha.

Hi Guys,
This fault has raised its ugly head again as predicted.

To answer MichaelG questions above. We are using a 2094-BMP2 shunt module. It has no external shunt connected only the connections jumpered for external shunt resistor (terminals RC2 and RC3) and external thermal switch(TS1 and TS2). The manual references this module as the main possible cause of the error E79 but yet the module does not show any fault or over temperature lights. (See above picture on original post, shunt module is on the right).
No changes to system in software or hardware. No mechanical changes that might bear influence on the motor load.

I did come across a knowledgebase article 33882 - E79 on Kinetix 6000 w/ 2094-BSP2 which stated the following:

The Kinetix 6000 IAM must have the ability to detect when the Kinetix 6000 Shunt Module has faulted.
The IAM will not be able to identify the specific cause of the shunt module fault.
The IAM will assume a shunt module fault if SYS-OK is opened on the shunt module and there are no reported AM faults.
Any faults generated by the Kinetix 6000 Shunt Module will be reported by a single unique
fault code and displayed on the Kinetix 6000 IAM’s display as E79.

E79 will be displayed under 3 conditions:

1) Sys OK is open
An axis module or slot filler is not completing the Sys OK string.

2) Shunt Power Fault
The internal IGBT Gate Drive has detected a fault.

3) Over-Temperature Fault
Either the Internal or External Over-Temperature is open.

I am awaiting a new shunt module which is supposed to arrive on Monday which I intend on replacing first.

Any thoughts/ experience appreciated.

Regards,
Donnacha

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes, I resolved this problem by replacing the 2094-BMP2 shunt module. I changed this module and the issue was completely resolved.

Regards,
Donnacha.

Thank you very much for your reply. We have also replaced that shunt module and have failed a drive afterwards.