RSLogix 5000 is running low of graphics resources

69FIREBIRD

Hi, Does anyone have a fix for this message when you open the function block editor in Logix5000. "RSLogix 5000 is running low of graphics resources" .....

I am running VMWare V8.0.6 build-1035888 on a Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1 Host.

The VM is a WINXPx32 SP3 with 4GB of memory and 2 processors.
I’m using a Rockwell technote to force the use of physical memory rather than hard drive
#Rockwell TechConnect 115299 - How to maximize VMWare images performance data follows
sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"
mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"
prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100"
prefvmx.useRecommendedLockedMemSize = "TRUE"
mainMem.partialLazySave = "FALSE"
mainMem.partialLazyRestore = "FALSE"

Looks like Rockwell TechConnect 31843 - RSLogix 5000 Fatal Error Source File: afapp.cpp when out of (GDI) objects has a solution - To work around this problem, avoid opening large numbers of editors simultaneously, doing large search and replace operations, and consider closing and reopening RSLogix 5000 software more frequently - GREAT! It also has a Microsoft Hotfix but this doesn’t help as I’m running Windows XP SP3 and its for Windows XP SP2.

This must be a common problem - any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Logix5000LowGraphicResource.jpg

I too run my RA stuff in a VM. VMware workstation 9. But I have never seen this error. I don't think Rockwell products are very graphics intensive. When you say you have multiple editors open, do you mean different ladder files in the same project or multiple Logix instances?

Hi, thanks for the response. When I have ONE instance of Logix 5000 open and am viewing or editing a single Function Block file (Its the function block editor that is causing the problem - I don't get this when viewing multiple ladder files)

I typically also have other ladder files open at the same time in that same project. - as the Technote says avoid opening large numbers of editors simultaneously.

Cheers.

Sounds like a resource issue to me. How much ram does your VM have? How many processor cores ?

You may need to increase your resources if possible but remember to leave an acceptable amount for your Host.

VM is setup for 4GB memory (physical as previous mentioned) and 1 processor with 2 cores - I might try a different setting on the processor.

Cheers

Your setup sounds similar to mine. I have 8 GB of host memory, and I too give each VM 4 GB memory. I don't remember ever seeing this issue. What version of 5000 is this?

Last edited:
VM is setup for 4GB memory (physical as previous mentioned) and 1 processor with 2 cores - I might try a different setting on the processor (2 cores 1 processor - think I can do that???).

Host is (and I think powerful enough) -
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Graphics NVIDIA Quadro 3000M
Gaming graphics 9962 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 16GB Free (196GB Total)

Logix5000 is up to V19 this particular project is at V17

Cheers

Hi, yep 16GB on the OS partition (needs a spring clean but that said host OS is running trouble free), VM's on separate partition with 70GB spare.

Cheers