SLC5/05 Timer wont time

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have a timer that wont time and I can't figure why. It is Ladder10, Rung26. I have tried many different things (changing C:5 .acc, forcing input at beginning of the rung, etc....) and I can't get it to begin timing. It is probably going to be something goofy but I can't put my finger on it. Hopefully this is enough info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

T4:80 is not going to begin timing until T4:8 reaches its preset. Does it?

And if/when it does are the rung conditions still true upstream of the timers? And rung 27 needs to be false at that point in time also.

Last edited:
I have, on very rare occasions, encountered timers that would not operate in PLC5s and SLC500s. I fixed this problem by deleting the timers and then placing them back into the program.

T4:80 is not going to begin timing until T4:8 reaches its preset. Does it?
That's correct. When the down-timer (T4:8) is done, that will trigger the up-timer.
And if/when it does are the rung conditions still true upstream of the timers?
Yes, and I varified by watching data table. I looked for something else that might be controlling it but could find nothing.
And rung 27 needs to be false at that point in time also.
Correct, when the hoist returns to position "10" and the lift pb is pressed, it resets both up and down-timers accumulators to 0. At least that's the way I wanted it to work.

I saw this one time caused by the free running clock having an invalid number or something like that. I think it showed to be stopped with all zeroes, and I entered a "1" and it took off. This may have been the real time clock being stuck, not a TON, so I am probably mixing up your symptoms with something else.

Make sure you are really truly online, and nothing else is resetting the timer for you...

I've had a similar happen before, and I cant explain it but I know they worked after I changed the preset to a higher value, and reset the dn bit to a zero.

good luck

This is a new one for me. There is nothing else resetting the clock, I put on the plc at my bench and use a couple of toggle switches, it works fine. Try to run it in the processor using actual inputs and it wont trigger. I tried changing the .acc to a higher number, that also had no affect.

Hi,
What about the timer reset on rung 42 of file 10?

BD

For that reset to energize the crane must be on-station and the lift pb pressed, which will turn off the timer and reset them. I completely removed those resets from the program because they seemed to be the only instructions preventing it from timing, and it had no affect.

Goto the Data table and see if the DN bit is set, or if any other bits are occassionally flickering

Could you give us a screen shot of the timer concerned as I have no access to PLC5 software
on a computer with internet access so am unable to open your file.

Could you give us a screen shot of the timer concerned as I have no access to PLC5 software
on a computer with internet access so am unable to open your file.

Here is a PDF of the program for you Gil47.

BTW, the file is for a SLC5/05 RSLogix500.

Last edited:
I have a timer that wont time
Please excuse me if I didn't see it. You say you have A timer that won't time. Does that mean that the accumulator on just one of the timers doesn't start? Are you meaning the second timer?

This was kind of mentioned but the status shown by the rung doesn't show much. Can you post a picture of the rung at the point when you think the timer should have started but hasn't?

Possibly place an unused bit as an OTE around each timer as a secondary verification of the enable. If it's the second (the first appears to be doing something) maybe place an OTL of another bit around the second timer to verify enabling even if only for one scan.

Do the timers at each station behave this way or just this one station?

Last edited: