I/O interface.......

G
I was curious about something ? How many people here would be interested in a serial I/O device (8 Inputs/ 8 outputs)that will connect to a PLC and poll a register for the output control and dump into a register the status of the inputs. The device would be controlled by a small microprocessor the would communicate via RS232 or be able to be daisy chained via RS485 (multiple units) The device would be sutible for I/O control that is not requiring very fast speed. The device would cost under $100.

Guest,
Your device seems to be duplicating some functions of the original PLC, except it is limited to only 8 Inputs and 8 Outputs. I don't remember ever needing such a device and I can't imagine needing one in the future. What does it do for me?

Why are you hiding behind "guest"?
Why not register?

I have to ask a couple questions:

Will this module have:
- Optical isolation for all I/O points?
- Noise immunity?
- Fused outputs?
- Wide range if input / output signal levels?
- Protocol selection for different PLC brands?
- Baud rate selection?
- Easy specify register to Read/Write?
- Finger safe terminals?
- Technical support?
- UL/CSA/CE certification?
- Warranty?

Most likely it will not be better than Flex, Point, Compact, Momentum I/O modules with variety of comms: DeviceNet, ControlNet, Ethernet/IP, Modbus, Profibus, Interbus-S etc.

Guest,

Your post seems vague, and is missing important details, and therefor somewhat confusuing, to me anyway. My PLC come with com port, and can connet to mutiple devices thru DeviceNet, or Modbus, etc.. Are you takling about a module with 8 com ports?

Or a remote I/O with 8 digital inputs, and 8 outputs that can be connected to a Modbus, or DeviceNet link? If this is the case I would be interested, as the price sounds good. We primarily use AutomationDirect so compatability with DirectNet would be a big + for me. There are other remote I/O devices out there, but your suggested price is very intriguing to me.

Mike.

Last edited:
Guest,

I think your device was invented a long time ago.
We can actually buy you device from a large number of different vendors. The main issues are how do you get it below $100, what shortcuts are you taking, and how will it be better than the ones already on the market?

If you want to know what is already on the market, just do a search on the key words supplied by Contr_Conn.

Doug

Date posted, 1st April.
Time posted 11pm

If this is a April fools day joke, then it is too late and you are the April Fool.

Doug

Seems to me this is a graduate year final assignment (don't know how it's called over the pond). Most students try to re-invent the wheel for this type of assignment. Why don't they get in touch with industry to see what is needed and is not already there? I have been involved with this kind of assignments as promotor outside the school and I have always wanted the students to be inventive in their designs. There had to be something "new" in their work. Examples are: a multi-standard interface converter using plug-in ports or visualisation using webtechnology (with Siemens CP343-1IT, Java-applets and HTML-pages).

Regards,

Too bad,

It looks as if I may have been had (douped).

Im, always on the lookout for a small remote I/O that dosnt cost an arm & a leg for. Most of the stuff out there now requires a pretty good size job to be cost effective, and is physically too large to put into a terminal box. we currently use Slice I/O from AD but it's big bucks, and requires a special module on the PLC for another $300.00. That works out to be more than $500.00 for 16 I/O! Ouch.... As you can tell, if this product were real, I would be checking it out.

Oh well....

Mike.