please ... :D

powerflex0078

I am currently working on a project, I have to associate with micrologix1100 powerflex70 a variable speed, I must control the speed and read the output state (current + voltage + frequency .... etc.) I have through the programing, I have a problem at the messages instructions when I have to insert the Modbus addresses I do not know exactly what address, for exmple if I want to read the output voltage Modbus address which I have to say? for example if I want to insert a frequency I want, where I have to write my bit what address? I'm looking for a little catalog, I did not find anything ... thank you in advance, hoping that there will be a SOMEBODY answer me

MicroLogix 1100 messaging to PowerFlex 70

Welcome to the Forum !

First, a Forum suggestion: put technical descriptions in your thread title. Threads with titles like "Please help" or "help me" are frequently ignored.

Next, a general observation: Using a MicroLogix family controller to control the start/stop action of a variable speed drive is possible but is not recommended. I very strongly recommend using discrete outputs from the MicroLogix to control the drive start and stop functions.

In general, the PowerFlex 70 series drives require a communications interface module like a 20-COMM-H (Modbus) or a 20-COMM-E (EtherNet/IP).

The PowerFlex 4-series drives have a built-in Modbus RTU (RS485 wiring) port.

Which exact drive and communications module do you have ?

I don't do technical support or application consulting directly. Post details here on the Forum and you will get help from (and provide future help to) the whole community.

My guess is that he actually has a PowerFlex 7-series drive, probably with a 20-COMM-E Ethernet adapter, but he has found only examples illustrating the use of the MicroLogix 1100 with PowerFlex 4-series, which use Modbus RTU protocol.

All sorts of protocol/product combination examples are available both from RA and various PLC forums. But first he needs to know what he physically has to work with.

yes, exactly ... I'm going to use the card The 20-COMM-H (Modbus adapter) , Mr Brstilson please take 2 examples : if I want to read the output current, and the 2nd example if I want to insist to have 40 hz output as frequency. can you help me and tell me the Modbus addresses to use. to understand more. thank you so much :D

Look at Table 4.C, under the section "Direct Parameter Access" There's an entry that says this:
4x1000 + param #

What you're looking for are the display parameters. Every parameter in the drive has a number. For example, if the Output Current is Parameter 3 (not saying it is, check the drive manual to find real parameter numbers), then you'll want to add 3 to 41000, so the modbus address for Parameter #3 of the drive would be 41003. Parameter 4 would be 41004, and so on. Find the parameters you want to read in the drive manual. Add the parameter number to 41000, and that will be your modbus address for that parameter. Specifying a target speed is covered in the section after the table.

The best thing you can do is study the manuals for the drive and the adapter. Drive networking is typically a very involved process and few people will have the time to walk you through the entire way. We can give you nudges in the right direction, but it is far better to learn on your own with help than to just copy what someone is telling you to do without understanding it. The manual I posted lists every modbus address to do anything you'd ever want.

Last edited:
Explicit messaging between a ML1100 and a PF7 VFD over ModbusRTU is quite a challenge.
I have personally never attempted it, however, it could be done and probably it has previously been done.
While I personally would never recommend explicit messaging integration of VFDs (implicit communications or I/O, ONLY!), study the 20-COMM-H manual from within the link posted by @bstilson and try comprehending the Communication Object structure on a ModbusRTU Master/Slave network.
Then study the MicroLogix 1100 Reference Manual MSG instruction structure/deployment procedure, starting at page 366:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1763-rm001_-en-p.pdf

Only after you have a clear picture of what needs to be done, I'd try using the example at:

http://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/4640458/powerflex-70-with-micrologix1100-on-modbus-info-plc

Good luck!...:D

thank you very much, it's just that I suck in English to inform you I am using google translation, so I didn could adapt well with textbooks, about the reading I have understood( @ 41000 + num ) . and writing are there as a method for the address, take the example of frequency? ... thank you very much