PLC 5 Ethernet sidecar questions

engiedude

Hello,

What could be the reason for the sidecar transmission rate to be set at 10M Half Duplex?

I noticed that lots of transmission and receive errors are being displayed for the port on the managed switch where the sidecar is connected to.

Other ports on the switch are set to auto negotiate with speeds of 100M or 1000M.

Would the 10M Half Duplex setting create a bottleneck resulting in dropped packets?

The module and the PLC doesn't crash. Although sometimes, intermittent communication interruptions occur causing tags to be in a state of error for a short period of time.

Yes that was the limitation of the module. Maybe replace processor with Ethernet version. Assuming you're not using all the channels now.

It may depend on the PLC processor and the siedcar that you have. Older versions did not have a 100M option at all.

I had a PLC 5/60 with a sidecar that had 100M available, but would not work at 100M (defaulted itself to 10M). I had to flash the firmwares of the processor and the sidecar to the most recent versions for it to function happily at 100M.

Technote 17881 - 100 MB Full Duplex support for Ethernet PLC5

You need 1785-ENET/C for 100 MB.