Serial to Ethernet converters?

mundae

Hi
So I am little confused about serial to ethernet converters available in the market.
What I am after is a serial Modbus RTU serial to Modbus TCP converter, I know you can get a Modbus tcp gateway but can I also use just a serial to tcp converter? Wont it just put the data in the tcp packet?
Sorry about any ignorance.
Thanks

You need a converter. Schneider have them I believe also Global Automation in Melbourne have lots of AnyBus devices - anything to anything.

Hi Mundae,

The Weidmuller and Jaycar units are basically remote serial ports from your computer.

From your original question you want to convert serial modbus to modbus TCP. There are quite a few companies that make these including Weidmuller and Anybus. The one I use is the Moxa MGate MB3170. I like it because it has two ethernet ports on it which allow daisy chaining the ethernet and a terminal block for connection of RS485 cables. It also allow multiple modbus masters to connect on the TCP side.

Hi
So I am little confused about serial to ethernet converters available in the market.
What I am after is a serial Modbus RTU serial to Modbus TCP converter, I know you can get a Modbus tcp gateway but can I also use just a serial to tcp converter? Wont it just put the data in the tcp packet?
Thanks

you need to figure out what your polling software supports. modbus rtu encapsulated in tcp packets is supported by many of the serial to ethernet converters. the higher end converters also support converting modbus rtu to modbus tcp. either method will work fine as long as your polling software will handle it.

I would recommend either digi or lantronix products

Hi
Thanks

Unless you are planning to read hundreds of values, I recommend using the Redlion DSPLE as a gateway. It requires setup, but uses the same Crimson 3.0 software as their displays and allows you to manipulate the values you are reading if necessary.

For example, you can convert from Integer to Float or convert from ºF to ºC on the fly.

As I said, you have to configure every register you want to read or write to, but I've always liked it better than any of the other converters.

Well Digi or FL COMM Server from Phoenix contact. Are very much capable of doing what your are asking. I have used both. Personally DIGI One IA is just for Modbus RTU to Modbus Ethernet or vice versa. Depending on your needs. You can decide the master and slave on your application.

I have experienced both and personally DIGI are easy to setup.

RS stock a serial to ethernet converter, it comes with a disk containing instructions & a virtual port driver, this gives you serial to ethernet encapsulation & virtual 232 ports so any software you use for communication thinks it's a real com port.
These can be used as server or client, I have used them for Mitsubishi FX plc's but didn't need the virtual ports as kepware opc server can encapsulate the comms into ethernet. the price is about £140.00 each.