Ethernet IP and Modbus TCP/IP on the same Line

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi everyone,
I have a application where a Plant PLC (ControlLogix) is going to talk to a remote CompactLogix L18 via Ethernet IP. We also need to get data from a flow computer that uses Modbus TCP/IP. If we add a Prosoft Card to the ControlLogix PLC can we talk to the L18 and the Flow Computer over the same Cat 6 cable and switch?

I want to avoid having to use 2 CAT 6 cables and switches in each unit. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks!!

Absolutely yes. That's part of the beauty of TCP/IP; you can run literally hundreds of protocols over the same transport at the same time.

Of course the 1769-L18 controllers use POINT I/O as the expansion bus, so there is no Modbus/TCP module you can connect to it. ProSoft is developing a Modbus serial module (it's an ILX-family product) but I don't think it's launched yet.

I would use a standalone gateway device, either from Prosoft or from RTA. There are others on the market, but those two vendors stand out for their reliability, support, and ease-of-use.

Edit: I misread the question; you want to use a module in the ControlLogix, not in the CompactLogix.

The answer remains similar; standalone gateways are fine. But ProSoft's MVI56E-MNET module is the go-to module for Modbus/TCP connectivity to ControlLogix 1756 series controllers.

Thanks again Ken!!
I was thinking it was possible but just wanted to check with the experts.