RSlinx 2.5 vs 3.6

madisjc

I just bought a new copy of RSLinx, and it has a higher version (3.60) and newer OPC dlls than what I have been shipping in the past (2.54). My c# application only worked with the new version of RSlinx once I rebuilt it with the new Dlls, but now the new version of my application doesn't work with the older version of RSLinx.

What's the best way to handle this. Can my users upgrade RSLinx for free? Or do I have to distribute different versions of my software based on which RSLinx version users have?

Thanks,
John

It depends on which version of RSLinx your application requires. RSLinx Lite is free, all others could be upgraded if the user is in support with a contract. Lite will only allow you to connect to one processor at a time, and doesn't support OPC or DDE.

Lite will only allow you to connect to one processor at a time

I'll have to double check, but I'm using the free version of RSlinx on all my programming laptops and am pretty sure I've connected to two ML1100 processors over Ethernet simultaneously.

I might be misremembering, but I don't think I am.

My bad. I was thinking of single node when using OPC. There doesn't appear to be a limit on connecting to PLCs. But still no DDE or OPC. If your using Lite, you can upgrade for free.
9344 - RSLinx Version and Features Matrix.

Last edited:
If you have a valid activation or master disk for RSLinx, you can't just upgrade to the latest version? You have to have a Tech Connect contract? I cannot verify this because I do have a Tech Connect contract.

I was under the impression that RSLinx Classic was all just a single program with features enabled by the activation. My RSLinx Classic Lite has all the OPC/DDE files and features, they are just disabled because I don't have the activation available.

Customers have a mix of Single Node and OEM. It sounds like I'm just going to have to make multiple builds of my software, based on whichever version of RSLinx the user has. Rockwell Software. Oh boy.

I'm not sure about the licensing, but I don't think "Master Disks" work anymore with the new versions. You need FT Activation. Yes, the older versions feature were determined by the licensing. But to get new versions of paid versions you need support. The only difference between single node and OEM is the number of simultaneous connections via OPC.