AB Factory talk Me install problems

MrQ

Hello,

I am having AB Factory talk Me install problems.

Windows7 64bit should work.

When SQL server is installed as prerquisite the installation fails:(

The log file is greek.

Ideas?

Yes, I have ideas.

Which exact version of FactoryTalk View ME ? Do you have administrative priveleges on the computer ? Are there any error messages during the installation that you wrote down and could post ?

The more information you post (including that log file !) the better chance that somebody else has encountered and solved that problem.

I think you need to STOP your installation of FTView ME on your 64 bit operating system until you understand what you need FTView ME to do! Pending the versions you may need to use and service you may be better off installing FTView ME on a 32 bit OS.

Technote 456828 specifically outlines V6.1 and it's constraints that are present pending the application you wish to create. I would reference (no matter what version you need)if I were you, it's an eye-opener.

Also in March there was a genius webinar talking specifics about the nuances that you need to be aware of due to the 32/64 bit OS constraints that need to be worked around. Most of the issues from my understanding relate to the old Watcom database originally used, this platform is not 64-bit compatible. Hence Rockwell's move to use SQL Server Express instead. Now if you have two different databases to choose from based on the type of OS you have installed, I'm sure you can see where things get dicey. The genius webinar provided a great Q&A of the topic, it's a word document seems informal, but I don't know what the distribution rights are for that (I assume you need to have a Techconnect account). Maybe talk to your software vendor.

Anyway, stop, understand your needs then determine where to install the software. You very well may be better off installing onto a Window 7-32 bit virtual machine rather than your 64 bit host machine.

Last edited:
:)

After completely uninstalling SQL server on my computer I managed to install AB Factory talk Me...

I think you need to STOP your installation of FTView ME on your 64 bit operating system until you understand what you need FTView ME to do! Pending the versions you may need to use and service you may be better off installing FTView ME on a 32 bit OS.

Technote 456828 specifically outlines V6.1 and it's constraints that are present pending the application you wish to create. I would reference (no matter what version you need)if I were you, it's an eye-opener.

Also in March there was a genius webinar talking specifics about the nuances that you need to be aware of due to the 32/64 bit OS constraints that need to be worked around. Most of the issues from my understanding relate to the old Watcom database originally used, this platform is not 64-bit compatible. Hence Rockwell's move to use SQL Server Express instead. Now if you have two different databases to choose from based on the type of OS you have installed, I'm sure you can see where things get dicey. The genius webinar provided a great Q&A of the topic, it's a word document seems informal, but I don't know what the distribution rights are for that (I assume you need to have a Techconnect account). Maybe talk to your software vendor.

Anyway, stop, understand your needs then determine where to install the software. You very well may be better off installing onto a Window 7-32 bit virtual machine rather than your 64 bit host machine.

I certainly second that-- well, mostly. I actually installed on both my 64-bit host and 32-bit VM (the magic of concurrent licensing). As older projects get replaced or updated or given to us by OEMs, I'll use the 32-bit installation to import, and then archive. Then it's available to use on the 64-systems we are migrating toward. A little headache up front to avoid larger headaches when disseminating to the rest of my department.

@MrQ, In the meantime, glad you got it figured out!

After completely uninstalling SQL server on my computer I managed to install AB Factory talk Me...

Im having issues running any AB stuff, I have SQL server on my laptop. I wonder if this could be my problem to. I'm not to familiar with SQL. What is it normally used for? I wonder if it will effect my comp in anyway

Im having issues running any AB stuff, I have SQL server on my laptop. I wonder if this could be my problem to. I'm not to familiar with SQL. What is it normally used for? I wonder if it will effect my comp in anyway

SQL is not your problem. FTView ME requires SQL server, it's serves as a database for the FTView ME application. The OP probably had a previous version of SQL server installed and when FTView ME installer discovered this it probably crapped out. Hence the uninstallation and reinstallation worked for the OP (as FTView ME installs SQL server).

If you don't know what SQL server is, leave it on your computer. Most likely some other application on your computer required it and installed it, so removing it will most certainly break something.

In your other thread be more specific on the errors, the programs you are trying to install are pretty basic, I'm surprised you are having issues. Check the AB knowledge base for the errors you are seeing, maybe it's been documented previously.