Factory Talk help.

baduc11

Not sure if FT is best approach so all help will be appreciated. :nodi: We are wanting to set up our electrical mech in our plant with their own login so we can mointor what exactly is changed in the PLC and a default login so they can view plc rungs without abiltly to change it. Is this possible with FT or is there another software we need to be looking into? :unsure:

You can do this at FT but somewhat complicated.
Much easier way will be buying "service edition" software.
PLC will be just viewable (read-only) and when if a person want to modify, it will ask for login. <-- it will be recorded.

FactoryTalk AssetCentre and FactoryTalk Security are good ways to accomplish these tasks, if you are using Rockwell Automation controllers and software.

But it costs some money and takes some dedication to set up, so you need to have buy-in from everyone who will be using it.

Especially if you don't have domain-based authentication now, people will need some time to get used to logging in with their credentials and checking out program files from FTAC before modifying them.

Doylen, this service edition is it Rockwell software?

Ken, all our controllers are AB so we should be good in that area, and the personal we are wanting to be able to set up already have their own user name and password to log onto the PC with the exception of some IT work in house for server settings. So I would need to setup a database in FTAC of all personal authorized to be able to log onto to change logic?

Yes, sir Baduc11...The SE is Rockwell software and costs less for 5-10 network user than normal site 5-10 licenses.
SE asks for login when needed. so some personnel doesn't go online to typical controller doesn't need login that terminal.

Baduc11

Let's correct some incorrect info in this thread. First Service Edition is only for Logix 5000 software and the logix family of controllers so if you have SLC,PLC 5,Micrologix,etc this will not solve your issue.

If you can provide more detailed informaion about the enviroment you are supporting we can make our help more granular and to the point.

As Ken said FT Asset Centre and FT Security would be the best way to handle this. Logix 5000 service edition gives you upload/download and view capability. It would not show you any changes that were made for that you would still need asset centre.

If you just have files on a computer and no controller program version storage then someone can still case damage with service edition by downloading the incorrect version of a program or just the incorrect program for that machine all around.

Point being service edition is meant to be used a security product. That was never it's designed intent.

You also said your users already have login credential on the PC but that may not be AD which is what Ken was referencing. You can use local security credentials also but it's better if you use AD which requires the PC to be networked and be in windows domain enviroment not a workgroup or Novell,etc.