Pneumatic

rmonroe

R
Sorry I usually go to Electrical and Maintenance forum for this type of topic, but something happen to their website. I'm pretty sure this is the right place for this answer.

:?: I have a Fluid Power question. I have a pneumatic cylinder with a bore of 4" and a stroke of 24".

The volume of the cylinder is 301 cubic/inches and a force of 628 lb/in-sq.

If you block the "B" port (rod end of the cylinder) with no pressure in the cylinder, and apply 100 PSI to the blind side of the cylinder, will the rod end of the cylinder move? If so how much will it move?

Does Boyle'e Law apply in this exsample; p1 V1 = p2 V2

Thanks

rmonroe

The cylinder will move until the force on one side of the piston is equal to the force on the other side of the piston. The pressure will NOT be equal on both sides of the picton.

Force = Pressure X Area

To answer the question we need to know the rod diameter so we can subtract out the area of the rod.

In practice you may also have issues with rod and piston seal friction.

It is PV1= PV2.

Sorry for the Lecture mode, it is a hard habit to break!