OT: Any of our pals down under watching the ring of fire?

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
The rest of us have to watch it here:
http://events.slooh.com/

You guys down under are in for a treat. Last year when we had the annular eclipse here I picked up some eclipse glasses and took the family to Bryce National Park to get in the way of the path. There was an astronomy festival there at the same time. Several people had solar observation telescopes set up with filters for direct viewing. The best one was a hydrogen alpha telescope that let you observe the solar filaments and granules. It was well worth the trip and my kids still talk about it - something they will always remember.

Too busy working - besides it is only partial - maximum 39% coverage in Sydney. Next time.

I have no idea, down south but still too busy.
there's about 850 km's between BobB and I

Got nothing in Melbourne. I was up at the crack of dawn heading up to Winton for test and tune day! RDO being well utilised...

4682348-3x2-940x627.jpg

I've had the good fortune to be present at three total eclipses in my lifetime, two total and one annular. The first time I didn't actually see the total phes because clouds rolled in about half an hour before totality. It was mid-afternoon, but the cows in a nearby field reacted as if it were milking time and started to move toward the barn. The second time the viewing conditions were perfect and it was spectacular.

The last few seconds before totality are as if someone turned down a dimmer switch on the sunlight. It gets darker at a rate you can detect, even faster and a greater change in light intensity than when a cloud moves in front of the sun.

The third time was the annular and it was the one I had to travel the least distance to see. I only had to go about twenty miles north of my house to get within the band where I could see the ring of fire. The planet Venus was only a few degrees out from the sun and it was interesting to see it visible at noon.

on the serious side - never heard of an Annular eclipse.
thanks for the photo, very impressive.