pt100 to pt1000 conversion???

SergioB

I have, what might be a stupid question.

I have an RTD sensor that outputs PT100 temperature, but my analyzer accepts only PT1000 signals. Is it possible to modify the signal from the sensor to be compatible with the analyzer using some electronics (resistors, etc).

Thanks in advance!

It would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to just replace the RTD. If there is something to do what you want, doubtful.

Not really as the RTD temp sensor is built in a Mettler Toledo pH electrode. Any other suggestions?

Will the analyzer accept a current or voltage input to represent the temperature?

If so you can use a converter (transducer) to convert the PT100 to a current or voltage.

Did you just happen to have a Mettler-Toledo pH probe available and you're trying to take advantage of its built-in RTD to measure temperature?

No, im actually using the sensor to measure pH, but it needs an accurate temp reading in order to properly compensate. As a test, i hooked up another mt sensor, but a pt1000 and the temp reading was correct. The pt1000 wont fit in the housing i setup, thats why i cant use it.

Will the analyzer accept a current or voltage input to represent the temperature?

If so you can use a converter (transducer) to convert the PT100 to a current or voltage.

Yeah i though about that too, but the analyzer seems to only accept 1000 ohms signal from thermistor or rtd.

If the temperature of the medium being tested is known or does not vary alot a fixed value resistor could be used external to the probe adjusted for the known temperature value .
I have had to do this on a PH probe with a damaged PT1000 and if you varied the resistance equivilant to 10 degrees C there was difficult to see a change in the PH

A PT1000 = 1000 ohms at 0 deg C,
and each deg C higher is equal to 3.9 ohms.

0 deg C = 1000 ohms
1 deg C = 103.9 ohms

If the temperature of the medium being tested is known or does not vary alot a fixed value resistor could be used external to the probe adjusted for the known temperature value .

There's actually an option to input temp manually, but the medium's temp does vary a would like to get the ph reading as accurately as possible...

Correction to earlier post

A PT1000 = 1000 ohms at 0 deg C,
and each deg C higher is equal to 3.9 ohms.

0 deg C = 1000 ohms
1 deg C = 1003.9 ohms ........ missing a zero

>Is it possible to modify the signal from the sensor to be compatible with the analyzer using some electronics (resistors, etc).

Theoretically, yes, but practically, no.

A Pt1000 has exactly 10x the resistance of a Pt100 as the abbreviated temperature vs. resistance tables below show.
24y1vlv.jpg

Steve Bailey's suggestion to wire ten Pt100's in series would work, assuming all the RTD's measure the same temperature point and the accumulated error of 10 sensor errors averages out (not necessarily a valid assumption). In fact, Siemens has a temperature transmitter whose configuration uses the wierd terminology of 'number of sensors', meaning how many multiples of "100 ohm sensors" are involved in the measurement (rather than 'what is the resistance of the element?).

The pH analyzer measures RTD temperature by driving a fixed current through the RTD circuit and measuring the voltage drop, usually compensating for lead wire resistance, then converting to temperature units. You'd have to alter the internal circuitry of the analyzer to change it for a Pt100, which isn't practical.

The wiring for the temp sensor in a pH probe are individual wires that are part of the pH probe's cable assembly. Presumably you could buy and substitute a commercial Pt1000 and do all mucking around with cables and connectors.

VEry cool, thanks for the info. Always like to learn new things.

Btw, the honeywell UDA2182 analyzer is universal and accepts standard pH leads (glass, guard and reference) plus the temperature related leads (RTD high and RTD low); which is what I wanted to monkey around with.

For the time being, I've already modified the housing to fit the longer PT1000 sensor and everything is working as expected.

Thanks everybody!