ti 520c-1102

crashup

after a recent power failure and not knowing the battery was not good I lost the program in my controller (which has been running basically non-stop since 1993). So since i had a back up of the program and the software on a floppy I proceeded to reload it into the controller (which went well so I thought)but after i reloaded and verified the program when I put the controller in run mode nothing happens. Even though I have inputs on the cards (no outputs of course) when I check the program status (online) it says that all inputs are off.
After 2 full days I have gotten nowhere and would really appreciate any help at all as I am unable to find any documentation on either the texas instruments controller model 520c-1102 or the programming software "texas instruments vpu"

You probably need to setup the I/O configuration, hit the space bar and then F3 "CONFIO" to go to the I/O config. There you write in the different I/O's that you have, after that write to CPU and to disc

steffen_sohl said:
You probably need to setup the I/O configuration
i agree with steffen i faced the same problem befor with texas plc model 535 series 505 (but i have no pc i just use miniloader )so i first set up the I/O then the ladder .
please i hope you share with us for the thread about texas because i need your help.
best regards

Last edited:
you were both right it was the i/o configuration. Thank you for the replies. Machine is up and running fine now

crashup,

NOW! Do a "SAVE ALL" to your PC resident Program file!

OH, Yeah, replace the damned battery at your first opportune moment! Get one of those new long-life batteries.

Last edited:
I appreaciated the info you passed on with the TI520c controller. I must have stumbled upon the right forum. I am in China trying to startup a couple of lines out of an old USA plant. Most of the Processers are Siemens 505's but we have four of the TI520's. 1) Can I use the 505 workshop to communicate with these? 2) My cable for the 505's has a 9 pin female connector, as does the TI520. Can I just use a gender changer and use the same cable, or dooes someone have a pin out for the correct cable? 3) Are there any tricks of the trade, I should be looking out for? This is my first introduction to TI520's. 4) We also have a Simatic TI435 controller. I have the cable for this and know it was written in TISoft. Should my 505 Workshop also talk to this controller? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

You might need a Null Modem Adapter as well as a Gender Changer.
The manual 505-8103-3.pdf in section 3.3 shows the dipswitches to find the baud rate, for instance, Dip 1 sw 1 and 2 on = 9600 baud for RS232, SW3 and 4 = 9600 for RS422. I'm not sure about the 505 Workshop talking to the TI435 controller. The DirectSoft software might talk to the 435 by selecting the 405 family, not sure at all about this.
I have a few manuals if you need them, just send an e-mail address by PM.

So, you feel with using a null Modem adapter and a gender changer my cable and software for the 505 Workshop should communicate with my TI520c controllers? Would it be easier to use a null modem cable insted of my Siemens cable? T.I.C. ..... This Is China

I just dont know, your cable may already be wired correctly, try it and see. If you cant find a Null modem adapter, swap the wires that are on pin 2 and pin 3 on one end of the cable. That is how a Null Modem works. I am guessing that you do have a computer with a real RS232 serial port and older operating system software such as Win98 or earlier.

I have the electricians making a null modem cable for me. Should this be with or without handshake? I tried the Siemens cable but couldn't communicate. I am running the 505 workshop on xp pro system. Thanks again.

I dont know if the handshake is needed but here is how to do it if you do need it. On the Computer end connector put a jumper from pin 1 to pin 4 to pin 6. On the PLC end connector put a jumper from pin 1 to pin 4 to pin 6. These jumpers do not run down the cable from one connector to the other. This allows the computer to self handshake and the plc to self handshake if needed. It may need the computer end only, or the plc end only, or both, or none. I hope that isn't confusing. Some of this is from an old memory so I could be wrong.
By the way, I had this same scenario about 15 years ago. I had to use an old 286 computer with DOS 6.22 to ever get it to work. I'm sorry I cant remember the exact solution, maybe I can find some old notes somewhere.

P. S. you might need to jumper pin 7 to pin 8 also.

Link to another manual, see figure 2.3 (on page 18/216 in adobe reader):
https://www.sea.siemens.com/us/internet-dms/ia/AutomationComm/Automation/Docs/SS505-8101-8.pdf

P.S.S.
Also see figure 2.1 and 2.2 for cross reference.

Master link for 505 manuals:
https://www.sea.siemens.com/us/Prod...rammable-Controllers-SIMATIC-505-Manuals.aspx

Last edited: