Mach3 and DL340

djbillyd007

This is purely a personal project. I am building a my second homemade cnc router. This time going for a 5 axis. I want to use a plc for external stuff that mach3 doesn't do. tool changer ect.. So, for the fun part. I want to connect an automation direct DL340 to the pc using modbus setup. This is easily done with the DL05/06 plcs. I also could do it fairly easily with a siemens step7 200. But the other challenge I have given myself is to see how cheap I could build this thing. I have 2 of the DL340 on hand and only access to the others at work. My main problem is not being able to find much documentation on the modbus on the DL340. Has anyone actually used the modbus option on this cpu? Experience with mach3 modbus output? I know this will be a challenge but I've got nothing but time on this one. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I think that is the 4k CPU for the Automation Direct DL-305 series. I have never used that one. I know the second bottom port can be configured to be a slave on a Modbus RTU network. As long as your Mach3 can be the Master, you should be okay with that.

I did find this Modbus Address cross-reference table for the DL-340 CPU.
http://support.automationdirect.com/products/340mbus.html

Must you use Modbus to connect your DL-305 PLC to your PC? It does have the DirectNet comm option.

Bernie Carlton is our resident AD expert. Bernie, chime in here and help another Tennessee hillbilly.

Last edited:
It is for the DL-305 series. Thanks for the link. I now have it and the port2 setup sheet for the 340. Should be able make an attempt tomorrow. First time I've messed with the 305's in years.

Got it!! It was actually pretty easy once I got all the docs together. Amazing what we can do when following the instructions :). Just got myself a little worried when I was strongly cautioned against using the DL340 by a mach3 person who had problems setting one up.