Temperature/Humidity Sensor - Ethernet/IP

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I've done some basic web searching and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a basic Temperature/Humidity sensor which can directly talk Ethernet/IP. Has anyone seen anything like this?

TIA,

Greg

Greg,

I suppose you could use a common home electronic HVAC thermostat to do what you want. There are plenty of electronic HVAC thermostats that now have Ethernet/IP capability. You can get them with humidity sensors or connections to an external humidity sensor. Of couse they already have the temperature sensor. Mine also has an additional connection for an exterior temperature RTD.

OP is asking for Ethernet/IP (protocol) not just Ethernet connectivity. I can't find anything like it in the links you guys provided. I suppose you can do a PointIO to a standard 4-20ma output.

Sorry - had a case of brain fade. The Vaisala units can be ordered with Modbus TCP, not Ethernet/IP. I've been designing a building automation system using a mix of Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP, and Modbus RTU. Got confused with who had what.

The Vaisala units are excellent for measuring temperature, humidity, wet bulb, dew point, etc.

Did you eliminate the home thermostats that use Ethernet/IP protocol (which is simply an application-layer subset of a TCP/IP packet)?

Notice that there is no mention of what the device must be NAMED, only that it be able to sense temperature and humidity! Who cares what it is called? (It would help know the goal of this temperature measurement, to figure out what would do the job).

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Thermost...ork_Ethernet/Thermostats/_/J/243/1Sr/nav.aspx

Which of those use the A-B protocol Ethernet/IP?

Well, the search criteria for those thermostats said they ALL used Ethernet/IP. Maybe they were lying, but I cannot tell from reading their specifications. My tendencey is to believe they will always lie if it means more money, until proven otherwise.

I think the situation is that most use an Internet IP connection, but communicate locally between the thermostat and the "equipment service panel" using wireless Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Well, the search criteria for those thermostats said they ALL used Ethernet/IP. Maybe they were lying, but I cannot tell from reading their specifications. My tendencey is to believe they will always lie if it means more money, until proven otherwise.

I saw some that said Internet IP and that they were web and smartphone enabled, but I didn't see Ethernet/IP.