1769-L30ER SD Card

cbuysse

I have a client in the field who lost power to their system last weekend. When the PLC on the system rebooted it reverted back to a previous version that had been saved onto the on-board SD card. The field tech who was last on site forgot to save the last on-site changes to the card so now the system won't function properly.

What I would like to do is obtain a new SD card and save the program to it so that I can send the card to the client to have them replace the card and repower the PLC. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the same PLC's (AB 1769-L30ER) available here in the office. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this without a PLC? I have not been able to locate any information on this other than saving programs from within the PLC.

Thanks.

Clay

Unfortunately, it's not possible to create a controller image file without a controller.

You must have the exact same model of controller so that you can load the compiled program into it, and save the binary image of the firmware and the user program to the SD card.

Thanks Ken. That's about what I thought. Are you fairly certain it will work with a PLC of the same model? There isn't any PLC-specific information, like serial number, stored to the card?

You can require matching to a specific serial number as a project option in RSLogix 5000 in the Controller Properties -> Advanced tab, but that's not part of the ordinary nonvolatile memory load process.

When I worked for RA, we did this a few times for OEMs who had shipped out their last controller, and needed to send a changed program.

You might not be able to put the controller into RUN mode, but you can definitely perform a load of the memory image to the SD card.

Since the customer doesn't have RSLogix 5000 to command a 'User Initiated' load, you need to select 'On Corrupt Memory' as the program load option.

Once the new SD card is inserted, have the customer power up the controller while holding down the Reset button. That will clear user memory and trigger an 'On Corrupt Memory' load of the stored image.

Edit: As far as I know, you need the exact same model of controller. If the customer controller is a 1769-L30ER, you can't use a 1769-L33ER to create the image. While I have not personally tested this, it is consistent with my experience and what I know about the controller platform.