Panelview 1711-T10C15 and SLC 5/04 connections.

chemdawg

So I bought a Panelview 1000 T10C15 to connect to my SLC 5/04. Now I'm confused. It has the two coax looking ports, along with an ethernet port, and an rs232 port. However, from what I've been reading, this will not work with the SLC 5/04. Is this true? If you can use it with an SLC 5/04, how?

The co-axial ports are ControlNet ports, and the 'Ethernet' looking port is actually a ControlNet Network Access Port.

The RS-232 port is just for application upload/download or for use with an external serial printer. It cannot be used for runtime communications with a controller.

You could in theory use this terminal with an SLC-5/04 if you equipped the controller with a 1747-KFC15 serial/ControlNet module, or with a 1747-SCNR ControlNet scanner module.

The more appropriate thing would be to get an operator interface terminal that shares a network protocol in common with your SLC-5/04 controller. The SLC-5/04 has DH+ on Channel 1, and the Channel 0 RS-232 port can run DF1 or DH485 to communicate with operator interfaces.

That's what I figured. I bought the panelview on E*ay for a decent price. I was just looking for one with a different connection, and they are WAY more than I wanted to pay. I did look up the 1747-KFC15 card you were refering to, and I see they are relatively pricey, but probably cheaper than getting a different panelview. If I purchased one of these cards, would this allow me to control the SLC 5/04 with the panelview 1000?

It's a bit of a kludge, but it will work. I've done it on systems that were using SLC-5/04 and ControlLogix together with drives on ControlNet and PanelViews.

The 1747-KFC15 is a DF1 to ControlNet gateway. It only gets power from the SLC backplane, and must be connected to the Channel 0 serial port of the SLC-5/04 with an RS-232 cable.

Essentially it takes SLC or PLC style messages on ControlNet and converts them to DF1 protocol, and vice-versa. The 19200 baud (maybe 38400, I don't remember) serial port will be the speed bottleneck.

Such a network still requires the ControlNet taps and terminators to make up a valid ControlNet network, but it doesn't need to be scheduled: you just select Node Numbers for the two devices and the port LEDs should go solid green when you plug them in.

Ah...... So in other words, I don't just add the 1747-KFC15 card to my SLC rack, and connect the two control net cables to the panelview, and away we go.... This really sucks. I'm not using this for anything industrial related.

I bought the 5/04 and I/O cards, and 4 slot rack for a PLC trainer I made so I could pass my industrial electrician exam. Now I don't need it for a trainer anymore. SO I'm going to use the SLC rack for my Model railroad layout, to control all kinds of things. I was going to use the panelview so that I can show what's going on with the layout while it's happening. I got tunnel vision when I was looking on E*ay for Panelview 1000's. The T10C15 seems to be plentiful, and rather cheap for one in decent condition. So before I researched it far enough, I bought it. So now I'm going to have to deal with it.

So what your telling me is I make the two controlnet connections from the KFC15 to my panelview, AND use the serial cable from the front of the KFC15 to my SLC5/04.

Only one ControlNet cable is necessary... just Channel A.

But otherwise, that's the basic idea.

SLC's don't communicate with anything but I/O across the backplane, so to connect one to ControlNet you need a serial cable to the Channel 0 port.

Well looking around I found a really good deal on a panelview plus 1000 touch panel. It comes with the DH+ module installed. Right now it's VERY cheap. 2 days left though, so who knows where it will end up. IF it goes too high, I'm going to purchase the Control net card for my SLC500 and go that route. No point in getting rid of something I already own....