SLC 5/05 and GE 9030

allan_b80

Allen bradley has the msg instruction to talk to other AB PLC's. I was wondering if there was a 3rd party instrument or a way for the SLC and the GE to transfer data to and from each other.

ex.

%R00001 in GE be read in over ethernet to the SLC F8:0 or visa versa

Easy way is to do it by useing PC and change data in the PC.
I read somewhere in this forum that somone did something like that with DiviceNet I never tried it.
Serch this forum it was before 2-3 months.

I agree with Arik that DeviceNet would probably be the easiest way to do it. The 90-30 has both DeviceNet master (scanner) and slave modules.

For ethernet, the most likely common protocol would be Modbus TCP. Can the SLC speak that?

Over RS232 or RS485 it would have to be via Modbus. Unless you wanted to write a DF1 driver to run on the BASIC module in the 90-30 or an SNP driver to run on a BASIC module in the SLC.

I once had a SLC control GEnius I/O modules. To do this miracle, I used a protocol converter by the name of X-link from SST - http://www.mysst.com/xlink/content.asp

The box talks two different protocols, and sets up a mapping table between them. So in your case, the SLC would see another AB PLC, either on DH+ (if yours is a SLC 5/04) or on ethernet (SLC 5/05) and could MSG from it's N7:0 registers, which would be mapped to a pseudo-GEPLC's %10000 register, which would then request data from the real GEPLC's %10000 register.

It's fairly easy to set up, but may nat be the cheapest of solutions.

Mickey and I will now begin completing one another's sentences and bickering over who last walked the dog.

And if anyone's still listening from 2004, I did a project last week with the QTS "AN-X" gateway device for GEnius bus.

The client had three GE 90-30 controllers (SBA 16, 17, 18) exchanging global data on the GEnius bus. No I/O or drives or 90-70 controllers.

We attached the AN-X to the network as SBA 19, read the knowledgebase document about Global Data, downloaded two CSV files for configuration, and whammo, the data was in ControlLogix.

The AN-X also will represent the Global Data as a PLC-5 style Integer array, so you can send messages from a PLC-5 or SLC-5/05 to read and write the Global Data being exchanged with the GE controllers.

There are certainly other methods, including Prosoft modules in the SLC chassis, but we chose this because we already had the GEnius LAN running.

The Genius LAN was GE's best kept secret since the early 1980's.
They do have "Ethernet Global Data" or "EGD" now which is very similar to "Genius on Ethernet".