Sick-IO-link -> Balluff - ETH -> CompactLogix

redbafo

Hello,
I´d like connect Sick LUT9U-P120L to PLC AllenBradley CompactLogix L33ERM
Sick sensor has IO-Link communication, CompactLogix has Ethernet so I use Balluff BNI EIP-502-105-Z015, IO-Link to Ethernet converter.
Ethernet communication from CompactLogix to Balluff and vice verca is OK, but from Sick sensor I get only few data like measured value, output, vendor ID, device ID, but not get other like settings, status etc..
I suppose IO-Link comm is also OK, because in Balluff web server are full data from sensor. But I can not see data from sensor in PLC, I can not write data into sensor from PLC etc..
It seems that there even are not data blocks for these data..

I have idea, but dont know how to do it..
xml is file with sensor data description, but how to download it to Balluff or PLC.. ?

I will appreciate any advice or idea..

Try to contact Sick, they should have all supporting documentations, hopefully AOI (Add On Instructions).
I am using Balluff I/O link masters with I/O link modules and everything seems to be working ok. Balluff provided all the info I needed.
Tom

Thank you for answer.. almost neighbor:)
I contacted Sick, no answer yet..

If I may ask you for piece code with communication with Balluff, if you are using it with AllenBradley PLC.. It could help me.. I found "parameter server" and I´m not sure what it is..

Balluff IO-Link Support

Typically with an IO-Link device you have 3 types of data:
1) Process Data (sensor output, diagnostic bits, etc.)
2) Data through parameter settings (setting the range, setting the color, setting the mode, etc.)
3) Data from event codes (low power, lens dirty, device damaged, short circuit, etc.)

In the Balluff implementation of EtherNet/IP and IO-Link the master passes both the process data and the event codes through the bitmap. Parameters are accessed using explicit messaging.

It sounds like you have the master talking to the controller, but for reference, when setting up the device and getting it communicating, you can use this document:
http://usa.balluff.com/OTPDF/893234_228088_1211_en-US.pdf

I'm not personally familiar with how to access the explicit messaging in the rockwell controller, here is a generic description on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJLbWJCHf9A

But I am positive, if you contact the Balluff US technical support center, they can give you advice or instructions on how to use explicit messaging to access parameters through our master device. [email protected] or 1-800-543-8390.

Thanks to both.. Add-on instuction is working, but read basic data only again..

I got answer from local Sick technical support. They send me "Balluff EtherNet/IP Mapping.pdf" document. There is 3rd part "Parameters" which is interesting, but still no succes. It describes PLC message instruction to IOLink device, but there are only few data.. Too few for me :/ Need to know what type variables are, how to exactly sort CIP parametres and next..

The document you sent by dropbox appears to be very promising :)
The second (Sick) I already have ..

I´m on business trip tomorrow, so I´ll check it in friday..

Thank you very much

Hi all,
another problem :)
I can not write data to sensor.. I set MSG according to instruction manual, but it does not work..
Reading of all sensor data is fully working..

Any idea?