factory talk m.e.

RY_Guthrie

I migrated a panel builder 32 application into factory talk m.e, I am using the rs-linx enterprise for the communications going over an ethernet network talking to a slc5/05, the problem I am reading data from the slc fine so I am pretty confident I got my comms set right but when I try to right to a data location such as I get the message "problem writing value "0" to item ':)wd30comp)n20:221.0' I ran the syntax check it came back ok? kinda stumped on this, any body seen this?

A write failure generally indicates that either the address does not exist (like if N20 was less than 222 elements long) or that the data table is write-protected.

Is that a 'direct reference', or an HMI tag ?

The Shortcut usually needs a double-colon ahead of it to indicate that the subsequent address includes a colon. Double-check your syntax.

it is a direct reference, I think where my problem may be that I migrated the app into factory talk and then upgraded the plc and when i did so I also changed the name of the processor from what it was when the panel view was communicating with it. correct me if I am wrong but the short cut in rs-linx enterprise has to be the name of the plc I am getting my data from? even though I have the plc linked in the run time box I think it might be messing it up since it is looking for a different name?

when I open tags in factory talk the address where it is looking in is ::{wd30pcplc1}n20:238 (example of address)but my short cut is wd30papa, I think this might be the root of my issues, it will allow me to read data but not right data, that really confused me, wouldn't think it would do either if that was wrong.

Hi RY,
You need to copy the wd30pcplc1 piece from the tag name and make it your shortcut tag. The shortcut name must match the tag directory.

Then press apply to link the shortcut tag to the PLC that it is communicating with. Then press copy from design to runtime and you should be OK with the comms part.

Regards,
Denis

It is not possible for you to read or write tag data if the tag reference refers to a shortcut that does not exist. I don't know why it *appears* to work in your case.

The Shortcut Name in your tag reference must be the same as the Shortcut Name in RSLinx Enterprise.

You need to change either the Shortcut Name in each tag reference, or the Shortcut Name in RSLinx Enterprise.

The program name of the PLC has nothing to do with either one.

If you choose to change the Shortcut Names of each reference, I recommend using the Tag Substitution feature in FactoryTalk View. You just open each Display, do Control-A to select all devices, then Control-R to open Tag Substitution.