Omron Ethernet IP

HJTRBO

Hi all,
I am trying to connect a NX Vacon to a (yet to be determined) omron ethernet ip capable plc. I am having trouble with the ethernet configuration using the EIP configurator.
The supplied eds file for the vacon drive appears not to contain all the data that omron requires to successfully attach the device to the plc. I checked a couple of other eds files that "work in the configurator software" and they have much more info in them. I copy and pasted the missing parts of the eds from a working eds and could finally get he device to attach to the plc but I know it will not work. I don't know enough about eds files to work through this one on my own.

Is it normal to have to modify a eds file to suit?

Can i post the eds file to see if someone knows what data is missing?

Does omron have a generic ethernet module which is configured in a similar way to that of Logix 5000?

Any other learning suggestions? I have done generic EIP with Logix 5000 before successfully.

EDS files can be a PITA. I have never modified them but I remember I had to drive Eaton crazy to give me an EDS file that worked with some of their gear - took months. Check for EDS files @ odva.org - they are tested to work. If the EDS file is not there it is not tested to the standard. That is the problem - manufacturers will not pay the money to get the EDS files tested to the standard. Pretty common actually. Omron stick to the standard all the way.

I had to modify an .eds file for an Atlas Copco screw drive controller. This was a PITA. The file that they provided didn't work with the Ethernet IP configurator. Talking to Atlas Copco didn't help as all of their experience using EIP is strictly with Allen Bradley. After much more pain I realized (or was told?) that the adpater in the controller is actually from Anybus. I downloaded the .eds file from Anybus and copied the missing data to the .eds file that was provided. After this the PLC was able to communicate with the Atlas Copco controller.