LibNoDave implementation on et200s

all4here

hello every one,
i am using IM151-3 pn with DI and DO modules.i have connect this communication module to the pc using profinet.and i already implemented OPC server from siemens.now i just want to change the opc server to free library LibNodave.
is it possible that i can access the io module using LibNodave.
if yes....then please guide me little bit. this is my first experience with LibNoDave.

thank you

Libnodave by itself doesn't do much, it needs to work with something. Do you have experience with Microsoft Visual Basic or Visual C#, or Delphi, or Pascal, or Perl, or Linux. It isn't terrible if you don't have experience but it will be a steeper learning curve. Then we have to find out if it will work with the et200s. What connection does the et200s use? I have used libnodave with the S7-200 PPI and S7-1200 Profinet.

Libnodave by itself doesn't do much, it needs to work with something. Do you have experience with Microsoft Visual Basic or Visual C#, or Delphi, or Pascal, or Perl, or Linux. It isn't terrible if you don't have experience but it will be a steeper learning curve. Then we have to find out if it will work with the et200s. What connection does the et200s use? I have used libnodave with the S7-200 PPI and S7-1200 Profinet.

yes i already design the OPC client in vb.net...and i have 10 DI and DO ...
i am using Profinet(ethernet cable) with the special CP1612-2A from siemens...and i am access the input and output directly.now i just want to replace the OPC Server to LibNodave.

The documentation with libnodave could be better, to say the least, the way they want you to work is to follow the sample programmes. I think I found my way in by reading the files in the doc folder \libnodave-0.8.4.6\doc, there are a lot of files but they are all fairly short. With that knowledge open \libnodave-0.8.4.6\Dot.NET\VB\simpleMPI.vb, you will be able to see the steps to get libnodave to make a connection. To know what values to use for a ISO/TCP interface (daveProtoISOTCP) read through the top of \libnodave-0.8.4.6\Dot.NET\libnodave.net.cs it gives you all the .Net instructions available. I then modified simpleMPI.vb to work with a PPI interface so that I could play with an S7-200, then I modified it again to use ISO/TCP to work with the S7-1200. The test program will modify values in the PLC, the test program uses F memory locations which I think is what you use in Germany, I think I had to modify that to use M memory.

If you can get a connection using the simple test program then it will be worth looking at something more complex.

edit:
I can't remember where I had to put libnodave.dll and libnidave.net.dll for the test, I have a vague memory that I put them in System32 but I can't be sure. As I learnt a bit about VB programming I think found that I could add an external reference to libnodave.net.dll and then I had to make sure that libnodave.dll was in the same folder. I never did find a way to get VB to place libnodave.dll in the right place for me.

Last edited:
I have not tried exactly to read/write DI/DO, but to from DB-adresses works fine.

After you set up communication between your application on the PC (application you will have to write yourself) try to just specify "areaDI" as area instead of "areaDB" in the libnodave.WriteBits function.

Your application will communicate with the PLC.

I dont think Libnodave can be used to connect directly to a Profinet IO Device such as the IM151-3. Libnodave is not a Profinet IO Controller.

Siemens Simatic NET IE LEAN is very low cost. Approximately 400€. I cant imagine it is worth the trouble to try and make ones own Profinet IO Controller driver.

Dear Sir,

Can you please send a sample program that can communicate Visual Basic 2015 with S7-1200 v4.0