unmanaged switch for PROFINET network

automat_plc

Hi,

please i need information about PROFINET ...

Can i use "regular" unmanaged switch for PROFINET network??

I have CPU, with one Industrial Ethernet port which is PROFINET configured, and i need to connect several PROFINET interfaces with I/O cards. So, only for connection mentioned port of CPU and several PROFINET interfaces and nothing else ... can i use "regular" unmanaged switch??

Also my CPU, has second Industrial Ethernet port which is Ethernet(TCP/IP) configured , and serves for HMIs and SCADA, and i also use "regular" unmanaged switch for this and works well.

Thank You very much,

best regards.

automat_plc

It really depends of the amount (and type) of data traffic pushed through the switch; you could get by with an unmanaged switch, however, in time and especially when you start adding to or further developing the system, you might start experiencing timing issues.
Unless you are capable to establish exclusively "unicast" type connections (or segregate I/O traffic from the SCADA/HMI broadcast one) you will need to manage the switching via IGMP Snooping enabled switches (managed type) at least for your peace of mind and your job's professionalism requirements.

Last edited: