Micrologix ML1400 connect to a network program

Hello,
I'm using ML1400 serie B to connect to a network program. To do that i'm using sockets. Using the program in attachment i'm able using telnet or tcpipbuilder in the network computer to communicate with micrologix 100% of the times, although i cannot communicate 100% of times with the program in the network - i do not have access to the program - i only know that after i click in enter it sends to me values in one port and afterwards i send it back the same values to another port.

Can you please give me some hints why i can communicate 100% using telnet and i cannot with the network program (it uses netcat to communicate)!?
It's related with message, accept or time out times?

Thanks.

I am by no means an expert, but I think your problem might be that the ML1400 is Ethernet/IP and you're trying to communicate to it with TCP/IP protocol. Despite the similar names, those are two very different protocols. The "IP" In Ethernet/IP stands for "Industrial Protocol," while in TCP/IP it stands for "Internet Protocol."

I've taken a few industrial networking seminars and invariably the first thing they say is "Ethernet/IP is NOT TCP/IP, do NOT mix them on the same network." I think the only thing on a 1400 that is visible to the TCP/IP side of things is the web page, and as far as I know you are going to have issues whenever TCP/IP and Ethernet/IP are trying to interact. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen PCs interact with PLCs via the serial port on a SLC 5/03, so I would think it would also be possible on the 1400.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm using sockets to do TCP communication. ML1400 (only serie B) can support TCP client and server. As far i know it's possible and the reason is that i'm able to communicate, although not 100% of the times - probably some issues with message timings i do not understand.

Thanks.