slc 504/505 rtc change from ladder or panel view

nathan.slade

Can a SLC 504 or 505 have there rtc changed from there ladder or from a panel view connected to it? I have been searching this in the forum and on Google and have come up short.

Thanks for all replies

I don't think the SLC 5/05 or 5/05 has the capability to allow writes to the RTC. Some other processors do allow writes to the RTC memory words.

RTC Function File
Day of the Week
Contains the day of the week as indicated by the computer. You can synchronize this setting with the setting contained on the controller by clicking Set Date and Time.
Date
Contains the date of the calendar. To disable, write zeros to all fields. You can synchronize this setting with the setting contained on the controller by clicking Set Date and Time.
Time
Contains the time value of the clock. To disable, write zeros to all fields. You can synchronize this setting with the setting contained on the controller by clicking Set Date and Time.
Set Date & Time
Click this button when online to synchronize the date/time of the controller with the computer's current date and time.
Disable Clock
Click this button to disable the real-time clock to conserve power when the unit is stored and not in use.
Address/Value
The Real Time Clock file uses eight 1-word elements. The following processors allow access to the RTC:
MicroLogix 1200 Series B
MicroLogix 1500 LSP Series B
MicroLogix 1500 LRP Series B
With these processors the following write access is permitted except when in Download mode or when being transferred to/from a memory module:
_an RTC to RTC 500 CPU MSG write is permitted
_an RTC to integer file 500 CPU MSG write is permitted
RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software

Last edited:
I believe you can write to the RTC status words for a SLC5/05 and the SLC5/04. see pdf below.

Generally you would write to an integer word and then move that value to the RTC status word. This would allow you to check for limits before writing to the status word.

Last edited:
It seems like that if you are allowed to write 0's to disable the clock, that you should also be allowed to write any other number to set the time and date. I would like to someone actually try it to know for sure.

The term 'RTC' is a generic initialism for 'Real Time Clock'.

The MicroLogix controllers administer their system clock using a 'Function File' with data file labels that begin with 'RTC'.

The SLC-500 family controllers just use integer elements in the System data file. You'll see those if you open Data File 2 in RSLogix 500; they are S:40 through S:42.

You can use MOV or COP instructions to move data into these system data file elements.

I recommend against letting the PanelView operator write directly to the system data file; use intermediate integer data registers that you can perform limit checks on.

Plus one for what Ken said. Put some ladder in control of the MOV, refrain from allowing the hmi WRITE control of the addressing of the clock directly, but DO if possible sync the two clocks if you are using the PLC clock in the logic for control...

Mickey used to have a signature line:
"If a man has one watch he knows exactly what time it is, but if he has two, he is never quite sure."

Thanks for the advice. I will be placing the ability to change the time in a maintenance screen with limits in the logic as described above. This will only really be used for daylight savings.
Thanks a lot for all the helpful info