ML 1100 Input numeric value

Billmac

Hello people
I'm looking for the simplest way to input a numeric value into a ML100
I need the numbers 1 to 12 this value will be used to determine how much
product is placed on a pallet . The operator should be able to change this value
to suit products ( I was thinking about using bcd thumbwheel but i don't have 8
free inputs ) any help or advice.
Thanks
Billmac

One input which increases by "1" (ADD 1)the Accumulator of a CTU with a Preset of "12".
Ladder logic "inpect" the CTU/.acc value and eventually provide a CTU (RES) PB input in case the operator has had a bad day and cannot count the pushes...:ROFLMAO:

Well, the 1100 has a HMI built into it. You could use that. But if it's inside an electrical panel, it could be unsafe to allow operators inside. Use small PV Component HMI.

I was thinking about using bcd thumbwheel but i don't have 8 free inputs

You would actually only need 5 inputs. Since the tens digit is only a 0 or 1, you'd only have to wire up the first contact. (Of course, that would prevent the PLC from knowing if they set a value higher than 12.)

Thanks for the fast response

I looked at the Red Lion Hmi but it may be a bit overkill for what i'm trying to achieve but maybe as a last resort cheers , I also looked at fitting lcd counter and taking the push button ( ctu ) idea and push button to reset display counter and (ctu) , The best method would be bcd thumbwheels, I have 5 spare inputs
and only require the values from 8 to 12 but dont know anything about bcd inputs or how to incorporate into plc listing. Any assistance
Thanks for taking the time to read

Billmac

Hi

If you only need 8 to twelve and you have 5 inputs you could wire 5 switches on the panel door and wire to inputs. Then if you need 8 get the operator to turn on te first switch and label it as 8 but in the code move a valve of 8 if this I put is on. Then if the first and the second are on move 9 and so on given you what u require.

Hope this is of some good to you.
If it was me I would go with the small HMi so alarms etc could be displayed

Donnchadh

Optimate OM413.
http://www.nematron.com/products/industrial/optimate.html

136 bucks from automation direct:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...timate_Text_Panels/Optimate_400_Series/OP-413

Works beautifully with Micrologix. You could spend time trying to make something like a BCD thumwheel work, but at $136 you'll very quickly blow any savings. Cheap, good, fast, and professional looking. I've been using them for more than 10 years and haven't ever had a problem.

You'll need a programming cable and a PLC cable that will add 40 bucks but the price is still well worth it. Get the software from Nematron (first link) for free, don't buy it from Automationdirect.

Last edited:
If you really are on a cost-cutter and have to go with the BCD thumbwheel switches, get some that you can set stops in, so the "tens" digit can be locked to only allow 0 or 1.

Omron have switches that take stopper pins to limit the travel.

Billmac; said:
Hello people
I'm looking for the simplest way to input a numeric value into a ML100
I need the numbers 1 to 12 this value will be used to determine how much
product is placed on a pallet . The operator should be able to change this value
to suit products ( I was thinking about using bcd thumbwheel but i don't have 8
free inputs ) any help or advice.
Thanks
Billmac

Another option...

I use a Schneider Magelis HMISTO 3.4" touchscreen to ML1400 using DF1 (or DH485 if needed).

It's on a palletizer for the operators to set the number of layers required for the pallets. Can be anywhere from 6-11 layers required depending on product.

They are programmed using Vijeo Designer, which is free for the small panels and relatively easy to use, but feature rich.

We get them from Radionics. They are listed at £205.42 at the moment. You would need the USB programming cable linked on the same page £33.00.

HMISTO511 (green/orange/red):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/touch-screen-hmi-displays/7110022/

HMISTO 3.4" Data Sheet:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0e72/0900766b80e72692.pdf

Vijeo Designer can be downloaded from an FTP site:

Schneider Electric; said:
To download this software use an FTP client like Filezilla or a download manager like Free Download Manager

1. Go to the FTP site: ftp.fr.schneider-electric.com
2. Username: VDesigner
3. Password: VDesigner
4. Folder: VDesigner

That FTP can be slow, but it gets there.

The STO is very useful as a discrete touchscreen HMI. I'm using it, and also some of it's bigger brothers, for about 2yrs now. I've gotten quite good in Vijeo Designer.

I've attached some pics that I've taken to show it's scale and an example of the display powered on.

If you are not inclined to get into new HMI programming software for a small application like this, then certainly go with a thumbwheel or similar.

Another simple option...

1. Use a momentary illuminated pushbutton to one input, and one output drives the lamp.
  2. Hold it down for 5 seconds to enter edit mode. This zeros the quantity and turns the lamp on solid.
  3. Pressing the button x1 sets the value=8, x2=9, x3=10, x4=11, x5=12. Each press and release of the button the lamp flashes twice to indicate the value has incremented and returns to solid on. If they loose their way, press for 5 seconds again to reset.
  4. No activity on the pushbutton for 10seconds exits edit mode and the lamp goes off.
  5. To verify current set value - at any time when not in edit mode, pressing the button for 2 seconds, but not 5, and releasing it, flashes the lamp the same number of times as the current value set.
That's off the top of my head and would require a good bit of logic, but possible. Personally I don't think I would go to that trouble, but it would be interesting to try it.

Think...what would suit the operators best?

G.

MagelisSTO_1.PNG MagelisSTO_2.PNG MagelisSTO_3.PNG MagelisSTO_4.PNG MagelisSTO_5.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks again

Hello again people
I have taken Geospark's recommendations on board and after
much research have just ordered Magelis St0511 mini HMI
downloaded trial version of Vijeo Designer.
This is my first Hmi project so fingers crossed ,
Have been playing with Vijeo and managed to design ,validate and build
project now just waiting for Hmi to arrive .
Download and simulate
then deal with comms .

Thanks again everyone,
Billmac

Billmac,

Just so you know, Vijeo Designer Limited Edition is not a Demo. You have a full version software product. There are no restrictions on what you can with it for the STO and STU HMI. Only when you go up to the mid to higher range Magelis HMI do you need to purchase a software licence before you can download a project to them. Other than that, all features are available to you.

Radionics also stock the licenced software, currently at £333.77. If you are using a lot of the HMI requiring the licence, it's a relatively small one off payment.

You don't necessarily need the USB programming cable, but the cable is less hassle when you are playing around with small mods in the workshop and regularly downloading your updated project. It connects your PC to the mini-USB port. You can also transfer projects to a USB flash drive and use the standard USB port to load your projects when the HMI is at the machine, saving you bringing the laptop there.

The helps files are pretty good and you should get a training video with the software, but if you need to know how to do anything in Vijeo, ask away, and if I can, I'll gladly guide you.

I can also assist you with the comms. You have a choice of DF1 or DH-485 to the ML1100.

I've written a sort of How To here before to a ML1400:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=75437

If you have any comms questions ask away.

G.