Communicate with Omron PLC

ryanmcw

Hi,
I am attempting to upload a program from a CJ1M Omron PLC using a USB-serial converter.
My co-worker was able to upload the program on to his laptop no problem using the same lead and converter but I can't seem to communicate on my laptop.
We both run the same virtual machine on our laptops so I don't think there is a software issue.
I think this narrows it down to a hardware issue with the laptop. Does anyone have any idea what this may be?
Thanks...

Is the USB/serial converter driver installed properly? What OS are you both running?
I must say I have never had a problem communicating with anything using the Omron converter but it is expensive.
I have had some problems with every other brand converter I have ever tried somewhere along the way.

Thanks for responding.
The USB-Serial converter is definitely fine. I even tried with a genuine Omron converter but still no luck.
We're running Windows Xp SP3.
When I click auto-online the "searching" screen pops up and then I can't get out of it unless I press alt+ctrl+del and exit program.

Thanks for responding.
The USB-Serial converter is definitely fine. I even tried with a genuine Omron converter but still no luck.
We're running Windows Xp SP3.
When I click auto-online the "searching" screen pops up and then I can't get out of it unless I press alt+ctrl+del and exit program.

You say you both run the same VM do you mean both on XP SP3? what software are you using for the VM's? What host OS?

What version of CX Programmer are you using??
Are you sure the USB port is correctly linked to your VM??
Why are you using a VM anyway?? CXP runs fine in 64 bit Windows.

just a side note here
I run CX-one 9.1 or 9.4 directly from Win 7 (both 32 and 64 bit versions)
no problems - I'm using a Toshiba notebook
check the system file manager - the USB convertor may be 'used' twice and have different settings in the VMware
plug in the convertor after the VMware is running
PM me if you want to talk to me - I'll send you my phone no.

I must admit I am puzzled why anyone would run CX-P in a VM. It plays nice and does not hold onto serial ports or cause problems with other programs. Siemens, AB, Schneider and many others in a VM as they do cause issues regularly.

I must admit I am puzzled why anyone would run CX-P in a VM. It plays nice and does not hold onto serial ports or cause problems with other programs. Siemens, AB, Schneider and many others in a VM as they do cause issues regularly.

I run it under the VM for 2 reasons.
1 - I find it easier to back-up my working environment and if necessary use the working environment on a different PC
2 - When I VPN to different sites I can still use my host OS or other VM's with different network settings so they don't conflict.

some tip

If You use (MS-VM XP-Pro 32) ? your USB driver must be in VM Windos/system32/drivers folder.
2'ndly you must execute "Activate USB" in vm side (on up of VM-window).