Rslogix 5000 and OMEGA display Ethernet connection.

MrTed

First hello to all.
I have an AB 1768-L43 CPU and would like to read data from an OMEGA/NEWPORT temp controller VIA an Ethernet connection. The PLC is controlling a few intelligent stepper motors through generic Ethernet modules and MSG statements. The question is, what would be the simplest way to communicate with the OMEGA display. It has an “iserver” and also offers Terminal server function, a HTTPGET function, and Remote Access (Tunneling). Ultimately I would like to send a query such as 01X01 in ASCII and have the temp display respond with the displayed value. I have searched for drivers and examples with no joy. I’m betting this is a common task and why I cannot find any dedicated drivers. Yes this is my first Ethernet project. Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Ted

A-B controllers are very simple to use when you're using their proprietary application-layer protocol to perform reads and writes of Data Table Elements or Controller Tags or Parameter Objects.

But they're not great at generic ASCII across Ethernet.

For the 1768-L43 controller you have, the principal option would be the 1768-EWEB module, which does have 'open socket' features that would let you write ASCII across Ethernet to the Omega device.

Later generations of ControlLogix and CompactLogix support the Open Socket feature in their ordinary Ethernet modules and ports.

There might be other ways to do it, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

...And welcome to the Forum !

I am kicking myself this weekend because I am passing up a once-a-decade opportunity to eat at Eddie's Steak Shed up in Granger.

Thanks Ken
Well ASCII might have been a poor choice. I can convert the string to hex. Just seems doable as they are already talking to the steppers with a generic module. But like I said this is my first Ethernet project.
Eddies? Pass it daily ; )
Best regards
Ted

What sort of steppers are you using ? Are they AMCI ?

The RSLogix 5000 'Generic Ethernet Module' has a sort of misleading name that has caused more than a little confusion over the years. The emphasis should be on 'Generic Module' rather than 'Generic Ethernet'.

It's 'generic' only in that it is an undifferentiated blob of data in the I/O tag database, rather than having defined and named sub-elements like an ordinary I/O module with a proper Profile and module-defined Data Type would have.

But it's still using the CIP protocol over Ethernet. You can't perform HTTP or ASCII or Telnet using those module objects.