Locating System

Leeroy

Looking for some ideas here. I am trying to find a good way to verify that a rectangular part is orientated correctly.
If you look at the picture below, that is the idea of the design. You have 3-4 stopper pins (Depending on length of part) that locate your part horizontally and vertically. What I would like to do is if a stopper pins comes in contact with the part, this will trigger an input within a plc. So each stopper pin has it's own input when in contact with the part. This way I know if I am not in contact with a certain stopper and sometimes I may need a sequence of hits so I can cycle between multiple combinations.

Now I think my best option is to do this with sensors but what kind of sensor would be good for this application?

locate.jpg

If I may ask, how is the part coming in? Is it automated, or loaded by hand?

I like the idea of the contour sensor, but other options may exist.

How about low-tech? If the part is conductive (better yet if the transport mechanism is also conductive) attach the low side of an isolated 24 VDC power supply to the transport mechanism. If the transport mechanism is not conductive you'll need some type of brush contact to the part. If the part itself is not conductive then forget this post.

Make the stops from conductive material but insulated from the transport mechanism. Run a wire from each to the low end of the coil of 24VDC relays. Tie the high end of each to the plus side of the power supply. Let the contacts switch the inputs of your PLC.

If I may ask, how is the part coming in? Is it automated, or loaded by hand?
The part is loaded by hand. The contour sensor is a cool idea, but I'm not sure that would be the best way to do it.

Bernie that is definetely an option as the parts are conductive and the stops I use are too. Let me see if I understand this. Attach the low side of a 24vdc power suppply to each stop, now if I had sourcing inputs on the PLC I could put that right into the signal input in the PLC correct, or would I still need the relay? Then I would put +24VC on the common terminal (if I can wire it straight to the PLC). Would that be it? I feel like I am missing something there.

Check crude drawing. Use an isolated power supply. Don't connect this directly to the PLC inputs use an intermediate relay (one of three shown). Then their contacts can be used as the PLC inputs. Otherwise you risk frying the PLC. Make sure the mounting for the pins is insulated. When the part touches the pins the low side connection is routed to the relay coil. If something goes wrong you just replace a relay.

PartSensor.JPG

What is done after the part's orientation is inspected?

I mean can you provide more information on why you are orienting the parts?

I have mostly seen vertical guiding vanes/obstructions built to orient parts moving on a conveyor.So instead of colliding the part against sensors and thus also stopping it to check its orientation, wouldn't it be better to just build guiding vanes to ensure that they get oriented in the right way as they move along the conveyor? I don't know the details of your application,so what I'm saying may not be applicable in your case.

Last edited:
data base integration

i want to change one plc system for this we need your help

i want to store 6 months data in the excel sheet instead of storing the plc values one value so is it possible to me if i change the code .if it is possible kindly give hint to me .

What is done after the part's orientation is inspected?

I mean can you provide more information on why you are orienting the parts?

I have mostly seen vertical guiding vanes/obstructions built to orient parts moving on a conveyor.So instead of colliding the part against sensors and thus also stopping it to check its orientation, wouldn't it be better to just build guiding vanes to ensure that they get oriented in the right way as they move along the conveyor? I don't know the details of your application,so what I'm saying may not be applicable in your case.

To take Bernie's idea one step further...

Instead of connecting one side of the PS to the part, it could go to one of the insulated pins. Then you would only need 2 relays. Also eliminates the need for the flexible connection to the part itself!... (y)

🍻

-Eric

P.S. Jyotshna, start a new thread

want to change one plc system for this we need your help

i want to store 6 months data in the excel sheet instead of storing the plc values one value so is it possible to me if i change the code .if it is possible kindly give hint to me .

Storing plc values

I want to change one plc system for this we need your help

i want to store 6 months data in the excel sheet instead of storing the plc values one value so is it possible to me if i change the code .if it is possible kindly give hint to me

As most of the 24 volt plc are grounded you will need to have some resistors from 24 volts going to the inputs, if the contact is made the input will go to zero.

the part is loaded by hand, so it's not on any sort of conveyor.

Instead of connecting one side of the PS to the part, it could go to one of the insulated pins
starting to get confused, doesn't bernie have the low side of the ps connected to the stopper pin? can you make a circuit without connecting to the part? cant really imagine a circuit without it, also what would be good for insulating the pin from the fixture I use to place the the locating pins?