Exchange data between 2 micrologix 1100

sevekeno

Hi, i want to exchange data between 2 micrologix 1100 and devicenet. Each plc have a devicenet device, exactly 1761-net-dni.
it´s possible to make this with this devices?
I need some pdf to explain me how to do it.
Sorry if my english is not good, i´m from spain :).
Thanks in advanced

This is not possible with only the hardware you mentioned. The 1761-NET-DNI is a slave device; you need a master scanner somewhere in the system in order to transfer data.

Yes, you can do this ! :nodi:

This is one of the lesser-known features of the 1761-NET-DNI device.

When you send a DF1 message to the serial port of the 1761-NET-DNI, the device will examine the DF1 destination address and redirect the message over DeviceNet to the node at that address on DeviceNet.

Use the ordinary MSG instruction in the MicroLogix 1100 controller to perform an SLC Typed Read or SLC Typed Write over the Channel 0 serial port.

The Instruction Set Reference, both in PDF format and in RSLogix 500, includes good examples of how to configure and trigger MSG instructions.

If you want direct examples from the Forum, describe exactly what data you want to transfer and how frequently you want to transfer it.

When the Net-DNI came out, this was promoted as a 'super-DH485' networking method.

Up to about five nodes, it was a little slower or equal in performance to DH485.

But for 5 nodes up to 63, it was faster because the backbone ran faster and there was no token-passing.

It never really caught on, and the Net-DNI remains a curiosity.

You can do a lot of interesting stuff with DeviceNet encapsulation using Net-DNI and with the 1769-SDN/1769-LRP controller.

Thanks for your quick answers.
I want to transfer my input/output signals from plc1 to plc2.
Is necessary to use the msg function??
I don´t have scanner in my devicenet network.
I need one for this project??

Last edited:
I get nervous when somebody says they want to transfer their I/O from one controller to another. If your controller isn't big enough, get a bigger controller !

No, you do not need a DeviceNet Scanner for this purpose.

Yes, the MSG instruction is necessary.

I created a buffer communication in 2 net-dni devices.
2 words for in and 2 word for outputs.
in net-dni(1) the outputs is in channel 10
in net-dni(2) the inputs is in channel 10.
When i set in micrologix 1 the n10:0/0 bit i want to avtivate the output O:0/0 using the n10:0/0 contact created in a buffer communication.
net-dni(1) node adress is 2
net-dni(1) node adress is 4
in msg instruction i don´t have slc typed write
Sorry if i don´t write correct in english!!

buferr_com_net_dni_1.JPG conf_parameters.JPG msg_communication_command.JPG

Last edited:
What about the RSNetWorx for DeviceNet application file?
Start by defining the DeviceNet configuration first.
Your MSGing will not be functional until the network is properly configured.

Unfortunately I cannot find any Spanish NET-DNI User Manual; you will have to use the posted link to the English one...Trully sorry...:oops:
Start with Chapter 2 and work your way "down".
Chapter 7 has an Application Example similar to yours...

In the Net-DNI configuration, un-check the 'Polling Enable' box. You are not using the Master/Slave feature.

Also in the Net-DNI configuration, select the DeviceNet Data Rate for a fixed value such has 125 KB/s. Do not use Autobaud, because there is no DeviceNet Scanner from which the Net-DNI can detect the data rate.

In the MSG instructions, specify the starting Word of the N10 file, such as 'N10:0'.

I mentioned 'SLC Typed Read/Write' commands; that is the same as '500CPU Read/Write'.

Last edited: