RS TechEd... Worth going?

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Is RSTechEd worth going to? I missed the opportunity this year but I might try to go next year if its in the right area.

A brief search of the forum shows that drinking and debauchery is one of the undocumented features, but no one spoke in earnest about the show itself.

I went to the automation fair a couple times and I enjoyed those. The sessions were a brief introduction to the topics but not a lot of depth. What makes TechED different and worth the price of admission?

I have been to both shows for the past 3 years and they are worth it IMHO.

Automation Fair is a lot of show and a few classes and Tech Ed is a lot of classes and very little show. You local complete / Rockwell Automation on the move events are a larger show than what you have at tech ed.

There are a couple hundred classes best guess some are quick overviews and some are fairly in depth. Many are hands on labs with equipment and many are just lectures.

You can't even take 1/3 of the classes in those 5 days.

I always get a lot out of it but that is my goal. If you go there to party you likely won't get much out of it. I party with the best of them but when I am at tech ed it is about business. I don't drink more than a couple beers so I can get up hangover free for class.

Others may have a different opinion / experience. This is mine and it's worth about what you paid for it.

YMMV

I've been to Tech Ed several times (not recently though). I'll echo Kid's comments on the basic structure. Lot's of classes, very little fluff. Sure, there is some entertainment, and access to vendors but that is not the focus of the event. It's impossible to take all the classes available, but I do try to get a pretty full schedule. I usually end up with one day on the light side so I can take break in the middle of the week.

For me the best thing about Tech Ed is the people that are there.

It is not uncommon for the program manager or lead programmer for a product to be in the room during your class. They may be the instructor or just sitting in the back of the room. Even if they are not in the room, they are probably at the event. If you have a really interesting problem, you might get to discuss it with someone that can actually understand your problem and *DO* something about it.

Just as important is meeting your peers from all over the country. Integrators, distributors and end users get to hear what other people are doing in situations similar to their's. Who knows, you might even meet someone you will want to do a project with.

If I am not confusing AB's TechEd with Microsoft's TechED, and I might be, the cost is around $1200us for AB TechEd. (a little more for MSTechEd)
edit:
Code:
What is the cost to register for the RSTechED event?
The price for RSTechED is $1,499.00 USD. There is an Early Bird Registration price of $1,199 USD, valid thru May 1st, 2013. The rate does not alter based on how many sessions you sign up for.
HERE's the site with their info.

Last edited:

For me the best thing about Tech Ed is the people that are there.

It is not uncommon for the program manager or lead programmer for a product to be in the room during your class. They may be the instructor or just sitting in the back of the room. Even if they are not in the room, they are probably at the event. If you have a really interesting problem, you might get to discuss it with someone that can actually understand your problem and *DO* something about it.

Just as important is meeting your peers from all over the country. Integrators, distributors and end users get to hear what other people are doing in situations similar to their's. Who knows, you might even meet someone you will want to do a project with.

I agree. It's pretty neat to have the ear of the designers, program leaders, marketing managers, and the like.
You can find out the 'why' to those burning questions (if you ask nicely)

I went to an Automation Fair in Anaheim one time and it was much like what has been described. Lots of hands on classes. I didn't pay for entry and it was pretty good for seeing all the new stuff and playing with the toys. Especially for free. Thats the main reason for my confusion, it sounds like the same thing. It must not be, but it sounds like it.

Automation Fair = Primary focus is show of new products and features and to give awareness to existing products. They have some classes and hands on labs.

RS Tech Ed = Primary focus training classes on new and existing products and a few vendors showing their products. More of a networking and training event than anything.