WinCC flex question

IPC_Brad

Hello all,

I was wondering after searching quite some time on the Siemens website, is it possible to create a touchscreen backup from WinCC Flexible to USB memory stick that is usable as a restore drive by a touchscreen/operator panel??

Basically I'm looking to create the same flash folder that the touchscreen creates when you back it up from the touchscreen, but instead creating the backup using WinCC Flex. Just curious if this is an available option if a touchscreen fails and makes it impossible to get a backup from. Thanks in advance for your consideration!

You can insert an SD card in most HMIs and use the backup/restore function in the control panel. If an SD card is inserted you can also enable the back transfer option when downloading to the panel which will place a copy of the config on to the SD card.

Nick

I knew that and have performed this a few times. I'm questioning whether one can use the WinCC Flex program project file on a PC to create a usable restore device (USB/SD/CF) that can be used by the touchscreen. The backup/restore option is impossible if the touchscreen completely fails. I'm just trying to explore all my options. I also have successfully restored a touchscreen over Ethernet and the USB/PPI Multi-Master cable using the transfer option.

I'm creating company documentation in case I get hit by a bus and someone else needs to perform some of my duties and so I am looking at all available options. I still have yet to get a USB to USB linking cable and perform a transfer through that.

Thanks for your time!

There is another possibility.
If you have the source project, you can generate a Pack&Go installation file.
In WinCC Flexible transfer you specify that a Pack&Go installation file shall be generated in stead of downloading directly to the panel. After that anybody can download to the panel using the utility even if you dont have the full WinCC Flexible software package.

Apart from that, obviously there must be a strict regimen for backup of all source projects to a backup server, with version history.
I always fond it suspect when someone wants to upload the source file from a panel.