MicroLogix1000

SirCharles1

Good day to you all. I have two (2) Micrologix 1000 PLC's. They are AC power, AC inputs, relay outputs. There are 20 input terminals and 12 output terminals. For my particular application, I would require more outputs. Can I (is there a way to) daisy chain or attach these two PLC's together, so that they are running the same program, but one of the two PLC's will basically act as an I/O extension. There is currently an HMI (Maple Systems, Silver Series) attached to one of the PLC's. I would like to link all three things together, the two PLC's and an HMI. If this is not possible or feasable I shall use antoher PLC (I have a micrologix 1200 which I know can be attached to an output extgension terminal).

Best bet is to use the ML1200 as it can be expanded.

The ML1000's can be networked together (DH485 protocol), but they control there own outputs. The ML1000 can use message instruction(s) to communicate but its not a good idea to try to control another PLC's outputs.

If the HMI supports DH485 then it can be networked together with the ML1000's.

And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you very much Mickey. I shall attempt to use the ML1200. Oh, one more thing... I have downloading some free software for programming my micrologix 1000 plc's. It is known as RSLogix Micro Starter Lite. It seem as though I cannot program my ML1200 with this software. Do I need another software package? If so, that sucks because I have looked at the pricing of this software (the non-free version) and it is huge. I usually like to go the legal and morally acceptable route but this may have to change. Thanks again.

Yes you will have to have the paid for version of RSLogix500. There is a version that only can be used with the Micrologix series (a little cheapter). Contact your local AB representative.

The free Micro starter kit works with ML1100, which is expandable and offers online program editing. Also has built-in ehternet, so you don't need any special cables....

The sad thing is, it's actually cheaper for you to buy a Micrologix 1100 than it is to buy the software to program your 1200. Going strictly by US list prices, the ML1100 will cost you $617, while a license for RSLogix 500 Starter (the bare minimum) will cost $811. The 1100 has less on-board IO, but it can be expanded to 4 modules, has built-in ethernet, online editing capability, and you can still use the free version of RSLogix 500 with it.

Last edited:
hey if you want to stick with AB and want to do it free look at Connected components Workbench, it's free and should do everything you need. Imagine that fully functional free Rockwell software. Will wonders never cease?...

I believe Connected components Workbench only works with Micro800 PLC, which is a totally different animal.

I believe Connected components Workbench only works with Micro800 PLC, which is a totally different animal.

that is correct, but if he is going to go to the 1100 or 1200 then this would be a way cheaper option, with actually more power programming capability and programming functionality

:geek:

If all you have are MicroLogix PLCs and don't have any SLC500s then do not buy the full version of Logix500. Get the micrologix only version.

RSLogix Micro Starter, non lite version (9324-RLM0100ENE) lists for $130 and will program all MircoLogix family, including the ML1200.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pp/9324m-pp001_-en-p.pdf

Or he could get an 1100, have the same expandability, ethernet, online editing, and the ability to use the free version of RSLogix with it.

hey if you want to stick with AB and want to do it free look at Connected components Workbench, it's free and should do everything you need. Imagine that fully functional free Rockwell software. Will wonders never cease?

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/programmable-controllers/connected-components-workbench-software

CCW only works with the Micro800 series, which wasn't developed by Rockwell (they bought the company that developed it and slapped their logo on) and is a completely separate division of the company. Nothing in the Micro800 series applies to the rest of Rockwell's offering. It might as well be a different company altogether.