Stray voltage on 115V discrete input.

kbradio

Have 48V AC on a discrete input coming from a valve indicating switch that is a open contact. The input wiring is #12 wire traveling over 1 mile undergound "duck bank" picking up stray voltages giving a false input to PLC. The voltage is measured with a digital DVM, if a wiggy is used the voltage is zero cause of the lower impedance of the wiggy.

What would be a good solution to this problem without having to re-wire? I was thinking of a interposing 115V coil relay and use contact as input to the PLC.

I was thinking of a snubber on the input to ground to negate the stray 48V.

Looking for suggestions. 🍺

Thanks for your time,
Frank.

Thanks for the response, exactly what I'm going to do. Install a slim 1 NO contact Din-rail mount 120VAC coil relay.

Connect a 2K ohm 1/4 watt resistor from the PLC input to common.

Yes. I've used pull down resistors successfully in this situation. I'd use the resistor to common even if I also used an interposing relay. The induced voltage could vary enough to blink a relay with such a long run of wire. An appropriate snubber circuit should work just as well as (if not better than) a resistor, though.

I just noticed the 1/4 watt spec. That won't do. You'll need a large, ceramic resistor because you'll dissipate some heat. I'd probably use a 5 watt.

Last edited:
A R/C based snubber should do it. Temporarily put a .1 UFD cap across input. If that does it, the snubber will work. Relay will too.
2K is too low. 10K, 2 Watt minimum, prefer 3-5 Watt.
120/2000 = .06 Amps. .06 x 120 = 7.2 Watts.
120/10000 = .012 Amps. .012 x 120 = 1.44 Watts.

sometimes it is worth while using an old analogue multimeter or an old Square D voltage tester to confirm that it is induction. Although at 1.6 Kms I would not doubt your findings.
the interposing relay (6mm) type may have the same issue as it may energise then hold in with the residual 48V.
so I would advise you use a larger relay or definitely add the resistor as suggested