Setpoint limiting

pauly

If I want to put a setpoint to a pid block in an SLC 500 plc
and enable an operator to change setpoints via an hmi between adjustable limits, how could I achieve the adjustable limit part? Could it be done by writing to the setpoint min and setpoint max words (words 7 and 8) in the pid block? If so how could the operator value be limited to the same value? I am using a panel mate plus with RS VEIW
and RS 32 scada. Any help greatly appreciated
Regards
Pauly

Ron beat me to it. We limit inputs and PID settings exactly like the example he gave you. We also place a line on the adjustments screen that reminds the operator that valid entries to the adjustment fall between the low and high limits we set. This way, at least most operators will not try to enter a value out of range.
I used to have to change the output to pumps depending on how many tanks we were filling at the time. I set up all the possible combinations and had a different setpoint for each combo, therefore whenever a certain combo was selected the setpoint was automatically moved to the PID block. Worked great after initial setup and prevented operator-induced problems. (You may not need this info but someone else might be able to use it).

This works for me. Most HMI (SCADA) software
have the ability to limit writes

Last edited: