Lean card MPI connections (S7)

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm having problems getting an ethernet lean card to work on a rack that contains a 318-2 PLC.

The CP343 manual says that the PLC is compatible with the card.

When the card is inserted into the rack the PLC goes into run mode fine. The machine runs fine. The lean card has the RUN light on and the STOP light flashing (according to the manual this means it is just starting up - however this state never changes, it doesn't get into 'run' mode).

I obviously tried things like re-downloading the hardware config, powering the system off and on, powering just the lean card off and on, putting the CPU into stop and then back into run etc etc....

Whilst the lean card is in the state of "Run light on and Stop light flashing" I can't 'ping' the card or interrogate the card in any way.

One of our guys noticed that when we insert the Lean card into the rack in the hardware config with a 318-2 PLC (i.e. the PLC we are using on this line) then the card doesn't get an MPI address. However, when we insert the lean card on to a rack with a 315-2 (the most common PLC we use) then it does get assigned an MPI address?

I've attached screenshots so you can see what I'm babbling on about. (also a 317-2 doesn't give an MPI address but a 314 does...??)

************ other things to note *************
The lean card works fine when put into another rack.
The back-plane connector has been swapped for another one from stores

So, based on all that waffle, I wondered if you had any ideas?
Could it be something to do with the lean card not getting assigned an MPI address and therefore the PLC can't communicate with it?

Any ideas welcome... ;-)

attachment.php

attachment.php

MWSnap005.jpg MWSnap004.jpg

I dont know exactly how it works when the CP343-1 is in a rack with a CPU that has an MPI/DP port (such as 317-2DP and 318-2).
But when the CP343-1 is in a rack with a CPU that has an MPI port (such as 314 and 315-2DP) it is pretty clear.
When the X1 port is an MPI port (not an MPI/DP port), then it is physically connected to the K-bus of the S7-300 rack, which is the same as the MPI bus. Because of this the CP has to have a unique MPI address.
When the X1 port is an MPI/DP port, then there is a dedicated communication hardware that somehow forwards the datatransfer to the K-bus bus when needed.

I have only always used the CP343-1 in connection with CPUs that have MPI ports, so I dont have experience with the combination you have.
I would try to set the IP address of the CP343-1 by the "assign ethernet address" in STEP7 hardware configuration. You should be able to find the MAC address for the CP343-1 if you scan for it.

You can also investigate the diagnostics buffer of the CP343-1 (not the diagnostics buffer of the CPU).

edit: Also check the hardware diagnostics of the CPU.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer Jesper, that makes perfect sense about the MPI port being directly connected to the K-bus and therefore requiring a unique address on the CP343 card.

When I access the Hardware Diagnostics the CP343 card doesn't show up in there. It won't let me connect to it in order to check the Diagnostic Buffer of the card.

The Diagnostic Buffer of the CPU isn't showing any error and is also got both green lights on (run and 5V) and so appears to be working fine.

The CP343 card just shows the green run light on and flashes the amber stop light (as though its trying to start up).

I've fired this back at Siemens as well so I'll see what they come back with and if I get any good info I'll post it here.

Thanks ;-)

uptown47 said:
When I access the Hardware Diagnostics the CP343 card doesn't show up in there.
That normally means there are no problems.

uptown47 said:
It won't let me connect to it in order to check the Diagnostic Buffer of the card.
That I find worrying.

Did you try this:
JesperMP said:
I would try to set the IP address of the CP343-1 by the "assign ethernet address" in STEP7 hardware configuration. You should be able to find the MAC address for the CP343-1 if you scan for it.

There is the possibility that the CP343-1 is defective.
Can you try to use it in another PLC ? Like the 315-2 you mentioned.
Or can you try another CP343-1 in the same PLC ?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this?

I'm setting the IP address via the Hardware Config and I have the setting "IP Configuration" (properties of the PN-IO row) set to 'Set IP address in properties - Ethernet Interface dialog'

Cheers ;-)

I'm setting the IP address via the Hardware Config and I have the setting "IP Configuration" (properties of the PN-IO row) set to 'Set IP address in properties - Ethernet Interface dialog'
In the HW Configuration, go to menu PLC .. Ethernet .. edit Ethernet node.
Here you can set the IP address. Use the button Browse at Nodes accessible online.
And you have to have the CP343-1 connected to your PC, and PG/PC Interface must be set to the ethernet interface you are using.