FTViewSE: can a client write to a tag in a Logix PLC?

For those in the know, this is may be a rather misguided question, but bare with me a moment.

I am not familiar with FTViewSE at all. We have FT View SE 5.10 stand alone with 1 client - both running on the same PC. The client displays the usual alarm messages and machine status information you would expect.

I have been asked if this installation can be modified in order to be used in a similar way to the PV+ touch screens also in use on this production line. That is, is it possible to have the operator clink on a screen object and not merely change a display on the client screen, but change the value of a tag in the Logix5000 machine running the line?
BTW, the conctroller was programmed using logix5000 V15.2

Needless to say, with my profound lack of knowledge, it will NOT be me making any changes! I merely want to know if it is possible, or if I have a profound misunderstanding of how the links between the client, server and controller work.

I haven't had much luck trying to find this sort of "overview" information on line, but if somebody can provide a link so that I can go away and do my own homework, that would be greatly appreciated...

Writing values to the PLC when you push a button onscreen is one of the most fundamental things that an HMI software package does, so in general the answer is 'Yes'.

If you want to get an idea of the functions of FTView, the User Manual is the best place to start. VIEWSE-UM006 is the manual for FactoryTalk View SE, available for download from the literature.rockwellautomation.com server.

In FactoryTalk View ME (the PanelView Plus edition of the software) pushbuttons are unsophisticated devices that only do one function; a button can be a 'Screen Navigation' button to navigate to a new or previous Display, or it can be a 'Momentary Pushbutton' that sets a tag inside the PLC for as long as it is held down, or it can be a 'Maintained Pushbutton' that sets a value when you press it, then resets that value when you press it again.

Those are just a small number of the different types of pushbutton in FactoryTalk View ME, but you get the idea. Each type of pushbutton object does just one thing. To do a different function, you insert a different type of pushbutton object.

All of these button objects also exist in FactoryTalk View SE, but so does a general-purpose 'Button' object with an 'Actions' tab.

That Button object is the multipurpose tool of the button world. It can have FactoryTalk commands assigned to it that will be executed when it is pushed, held, and/or released.

The FactoryTalk View Commands are where the most powerful things are done, not the least of which is ordinary 'set this value in the PLC' and 'open this display' functions.

So the general answer to 'can FactoryTalk View SE clients do the same things as PanelView Plus terminals' is 'yes, and more'.

Excellent! Question answered, thankyou Ken.
I had assumed this was the case from other SCADA type systems I have seen, but having not actually seen an example in FTViewSE, I didn't like to say categorically "yes, we can do this" to my employer.
Now I'll go and call an integrator or two...