EB8000/451 and "Station No" question

CalG

I would like to connect directly via Com ports (RS 232 or 485) and control two GE 90/30 311 PLC's.

The Easy Builder software "speaks" of "Station numbers" in Chapter five "How to Control a Local PLC", but the wording is rather obscure to someone who is not familiar (me ;-)

What is the best way to set up both the 90/30's and the Weintek 8070 hmi for the most reliable communication?

Are there advantages to connect one plc via 485 and the second 232 with separate cables? Or is the 485 multi drop a better choice? (custom cable required)

I have the Horner communication modules available for both plcs so there are port options. TCPIP is NOT available to the PLC's. The HMI is configured for network communication and that works well.

What I am missing is the plc I.D and how to address commands from the HMI.

What are valid plc ID's?

and how are references directed correctly in the 8070 HMI?
%R00001#(plc ID) ?

TIA

Cal