SEW Drives and DOP11B

Zantay

Hello everyone, I am currently working in a project in which I am required to control a MOVITRAC® B with a touch panel DOP11B-30.
The application is quite simple, the idea is to move the chain attached to the motor between 2 positions. And select with the touch panel which position is desired. I have no encoder, the positioning is made with 2 induction sensors. And the method of communication is RS485
The problem is that since I have no encoder and I can’t use _AxisStop in MOVITRAC® B I don’t see any option to program the controller to do the required function
I’m new to SEW controller, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thank you

i'm also having trouble Addressing drives correctly in RS485, i have 2 devices on the network and they seem to share the same process data (PI and PO). i need to be able to control both drives separately. if anyone could assist me on this subject too would be greatly appreciated :D

What controls the movitrac's? Is it the DOP?
Do you have any stop switches connected to the Movitracs?

You can use an IPOS code in the drives to achieve what you want to do.
Tell us bit more about your application.

Yes, i control the movitrac With the touch panel,
I have 2 inductive sensors to limit the movement, but I guess I could use them as hardware limit switches if that's what you mean.

My application is a metal sheet storage device. The movitrac controls the withdrawal and deposit of the metal plate. Mi idea is to use the touch panel to control the process data words (PO and PI) to start the motor and use the movitrac ipos to stop it, but I don't know how without the _AxisStop command.

The idea is to select between in or out and the chain attached to the motor will pull or push the tray holding the metal sheets

Simplest way to do this is to use two Push Buttons and hard wire it as shown in the attached diagram. You can wire the Limit switches to the drive then write an IPOS code to run the drive. But why do you want to complicate things?
Hope this helps.

yeah, the problem is NOT how to start the drive, the problem is how to automatically stop it when it reaches the goal position.

2013-06-17 07.10.18.jpg

Forget about the touch panel for now.
IF you wire the movitrac and the stop sensors according to the attached diagram, it will work.
1. When you close the SW1 conveyor will move forward until it makes the LS1.
which is your sensor in.
2. When you close the SW2 conveyor will move backward until it makes the LS2.
which is your sensor out.
Once you get the hang of this then I will write an IPOS code to use the touch panel. I still cannot understand why you want to use a touch panel to drive the conveyor forward and back.

well yeah, without the touch panel it make way more sense doing it this way. the reason for the touch panel is because this is only one part of the complete system, and the idea is to be able to control all the system in the same screen

Since i am going to use the touch panel for the control of the system, i thought it would be best if i put the controls in the touch panel instead of adding more buttons for controlling only one area

Hello Ranjith, i had time to analyze your proposal and it sounds good but i still would like to be able to use the touch panel to control the movitrac unit. i would appreciate if you could give me a hand with the IPOSplus program.
Thank you :D

Enable the IPOS option in Shell parameter P809.
See attached IPOS program.
I have used H3 as a pointer to carry out different tasks in the IPOS program.
You need to access H3 from the DOP panel.
Set DI01 and DI02 to IPOS INPUT in SHELL. Parameter group 6
You need to set all the inputs to IPOS INPUT in Parameter group 6.
Following thread might help you
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=78541&highlight=movitrac

Last edited:
Hello Ranjith, sorry for my late answer, I have been working on the mechanical part of my project and I just had time to test your suggestions, I have been able to add the switches to the project, so I took your simple solution, but I ran with an unexpected problem and I was hoping you may be able to guide me…

I have connected everything and the hardware is working fine, I have changed the parameter of setpoint source to terminals, and I have assigned the correct function to each terminal, but it’s not actually starting the motor, I think I may be missing a parameter or a previous configuration. I tried manual mode and its working fine, but the terminal signals aren't able to actually control the motor .

I would appreciate your help, thank you for all that you have already given me :D

Please send me a copy of the parameter file. I have pm'ed my email address.
Let me know where the all switches are connected. Connection diagram would be fine.