Just an observation

Patrick

Lifetime Supporting Member
When I started to program PLC's. This was when Texas instruments were king. We were called instrument techs. This group slit to instrument techs and programmers. Then Control process technicians. Now I have some of the younger supervisors coming in and saying that their processes control not me. That I’m a programmer. They run the process area of the plant so therefore their process control. Does that mean that I belong to the I.T. DEPT.? And can give myself GOD like powers on my computer? OR did I miss something?:geek:

If they run the process area of the plant, to me that is "operations", therefore they are called "operators" or if they are supervisors they might be called operations manager, or operations supervisor. But that's just me.

But the titles of people whom mess with PLC's varies. In my 7 years I've been called:
Maintenance Technician
Controls Technician
Controls Engineer
Process Controls Engineer

Search the forum you'll come up with all kinds of titles for us folk.

Systems Integrator - I do the lot - design the system, build the panels, program, commission and maintain.

I was an intergater. The company bought the machine with the controller in. i intergated to the rest of the plant. they call at 3AM the computer is down. i go out adjust the photot eye and tell them the computer is fix and their happy.
:p

A company I worked for a number of years back had an engineering department named "process engineering." The three men and one woman in that group wrote documents and drew pictures for operation process sheets.

One thing is sure, none of you studied spelling or grammar.:)
It is good that you are "Techies".

It is good that you are "Techies".
I am sure that you meant "technicians" (the real English word for "Techies". Part of the problem is this site's interpreter, which often fills in the endings of words to its own liking. If you make a letter correction, often the new letter will appear at the end of the message, instead of where you meant it to be.

I am sure that you meant "technicians" (the real English word for "Techies". Part of the problem is this site's interpreter, which often fills in the endings of words to its own liking. If you make a letter correction, often the new letter will appear at the end of the message, instead of where you meant it to be.
I mean "Techies".
Made up words can take on many forms, none of which are incorrect or likely correct.
But I was referring to us guys who are a mix of "Nerd", "Geek" and "Gear Head" this makes the best "Automation" people IMHO. :confused:

Last edited:
My title is Electrical Engineer, though I really don't do much electrical engineering. While I do get to design the odd PC board and play with microcontrollers on occasion, I think the phrase "glorified maintenance guy" probably comes closer.:rolleyes:

My title is Electrical Engineer, though I really don't do much electrical engineering. While I do get to design the odd PC board and play with microcontrollers on occasion, I think the phrase "glorified maintenance guy" probably comes closer.:rolleyes:

Don't pigeon hole that Electrical Engineering term. It covers a wide spectrum of studies. I have a BS in Electrical Engineering but my studies were focused almost exclusively on automation controls. My job title is Electrical Engineer, and I design/build/program/maintain automation and controls equipment. My brother has called my job "glorified maintenance guy" in the past as well (or maybe it was High Tech Maintenance).

one thing is sure, none of you studied spelling or grammar.:)
it is good that you are "techies".

+1

made up words can take on many forms, none of which are incorrect or likely correct.
But i was referring to us guys who are a mix of "nerd", "geek" and "gear head" this makes the best "automation" people imho.

+2

I wanna-be a InterGator too. I want to come in at the end, with my powerful grin, and not bite everyone on hand, rather whip them with my tale. If everything isn't ready, I just stand there with my laptop online with my hands in my business casual pockets billing for some amount that causes me to constantly beam and smile and make friends with all the operators...

;)

Intergators got 'spect.

Last edited: