Gearing from one virtula master to a second virtual master

TFU-mech-guy

Does anyone have any experience in Rockwell gearing an axis from one virtual master which is a cam to a second virtual master which is also a cam on the fly? The two virtual masters are both following the same main machine virtual master.

Someone will probably shoot me down in flames, but I don't think you can "Gear" or "slave" a Virtual Master axis to another VM axis.

A Virtual Master axis is normally one that is just an input to the system, e.g. from an encoder, from which you "slave" any subordinate axes.

Why can't you just gear the axes back to the one virtual master ?

Some idea of what you are trying to achieve would help get your best answers.

Sorry, I think I misspoke. I have two different axis following the same virtual master (VM3). I am doing this to keep the velocities of each axis matched during a portion of VM3. I am having a tough time gearing the individual axis on and off VM3. In particular, one of the two axis needs to gear from VM3 to a second Virtual master(VM2). Both VM2 and VM3 are following a main VM. (VM1).

VM1 = 0-20000mm of paper in my process
VM2 = A cammed conveyor axis. 0-1270mm = dist the conveyor travels during VM1's cycle. Two points in the cam.
VM3 = A cam that is acting during a portion of VM1. (80% of it). Its Cam is not representative of an actual move of a physical axis on the machine.

I use VM 3 because I need two servo driven conveyors to gear on and off VM3 during its cycle to insure they have matched velocities. I am using VM3 as "dummy" axis that the two servos can follow with a 1:1 gear. If I try and run cams on the two servo axis, I can control pos but not velocity.

maybe I am confusing things by calling VM2 and VM3 virtual masters. they are cammed axis that are slave to VM1. I called VM3 a virtual master because no physical axis actually does its entire cam. I have two axis that need to each do a portion of the cam table. When their portions overlap, they are following (geared on) at the same time. My problem was when I cancel one axis gear with a MAS, the other stopped too for some reason. Applying a MAJ had the same effect. I am told there is a version issue with Rockwell Ver 21. and the MAS...
Solved it by making yet another dummy cam (VM4) that is the same table as VM3. Now I can gear on/off axis 1 to VM3 and axis 2 to VM4 independently.