Communicating Allen Bradley Micrologix 1500 LRP with LAPTOP through Modbus RTU

engr83

Hi,

Need to communicate Allen Bradley Micrologix 1764 LRP with my Laptop to read data (coil & holding registers) via modbus rtu protocol using MODSCAN32 software.

Thanks & Regards.

Last edited:
Thanx for Reply Mickey,

i m communicating with the laptop using 1761-cbl-pm02 through COMM port 0, i need to know which modbus protocol should be used, is it slave or master ?

Is there any requirement of function to be written on Ladder program?

Thanx

MODSCAN32 is a Modbus Master so configure your ML1500 as a Modbus RTU Slave.

Is there any requirement of function to be written on Ladder program?

Just configure the port and map the addresses you want to read under Channel configuration.

Last edited:
First of all Thanx, it workss...wana share my experience

After mapping the data table & successfully check in modscan32, need to communicate the micrologix with DCS. But the distance between RTU & MTU is around 150 m, so i tried RS232-RS485 converter without external power supply which did not work. i found in some article that if set the baud rate up to 9600 the cable distance on RS232 will increase. See the reference below

http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232_specs.html

So implement the above method & it works :)

Also found some useful document related to this matter, see the attached file.

Thanx & regards

1761-cbl-pm02.gif

Attachments

• QuickStart_uLogix_ModBus.doc
    163 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

I have never seen a cable length chart like that before. I have done 150' at 9600 baud before without issues.