How to engage a 24VDC starter from a Digital output rated at 50ma

milmat1

I need to operate a motor starter from a binary output from an axis module. (SEW MXA81A).

according to the MXA81A spec sheet I have an Imax of 50ma for the output.

The Motor starter is an Allen Bradley 100C series with 24VDC coil.

Is there any better way of doing this other than adding another relay into the circuit such as an SSR etc?

A solid-state relay seems about the simplest, cheapest fix. Either way, you need some device in between the axis module and the motor starter, and it might as well be a widely-available easy-to-use relay, rather than some more exotic device such as a signal conditioner or current multiplier.

I like these ones from mcmaster quite a bit, I use them pretty often. If you need more than a single one, you can order them in larger quantities from Statesville Process group, which is near Charlotte. The statesville price was $19/per Mcmaster is $28

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8299K12

Good luck.

Guess I was hoping for some magic device here....LOL

there are some manufacturers that make low consumption 24VDC contactors that can be connected directly to transistor output (like xxxxxxBL series from Schneider) but if you don't have something like this then the nicest solution would be that terminal block relay as said already...