talk to Flex I/O on different network

angi

Hi Guys

A CLX IP is 192.168.10.10, I need to get value from a 1794 Flex I/O it's IP is 10.1.1.30, what I am going to do is to add a new ENBT module with IP 10.1.1.20 in the CLX rack. am I right? if the setting is right then how to get data from Flex I/O?

thanks

You treat it like any other I/O. Add it to your I/O Configuration. Add the new ENBT and then add the Flex underneath that. No need for MSG.

That is essentially producer/consumer.

OG

Hi OG

I think producer/consumer Tags should be in same network, how to define producer and consumer for different network, 192.168.x.x/10.1.x.x?

thanks

Hi

Sorry but I am missing something.
Is the flex I/o been Controlled by another plc and if so
What is the make of both and want network cards are in both.
What info are you trying to get from the flex

Donnchadh

I recognize this question from a few weeks ago.

As described above, to connect ControlLogix to FLEX I/O, the 1756-ENxT module needs to be on the same physical and logical IP network as the FLEX adapter, or there needs to be a router between the networks. That is the OP's choice.

If you choose a router, you must use a 'unicast' connection in RSLogix 5000. Some inexpensive routers won't handle I/O traffic well.

My recommendation is to re-organize the whole network, preferably with the help of a consultant who can help you plan for reliability, expansion, capacity, and security.

Hi Ken

what I am going to do is the same as OP's choice, I just want to make sure it is right way.

thanks

'OP' means 'Original Poster', who is the person who originated the thread. That's you, Angi.

I do not remember if you were able to even describe in the previous threads how these two networks were physically connected. If you do not know the architecture of your plant network, both physical and logical, it is impossible for the PLCTalk community to give you useful advice.

If this were my system, I would repair it by re-addressing the equipment that uses IP addresses that don't fit into the plant architecture. If you stitch the systems together using multiple 1756-ENxT modules or small routers and allow the IP addressing to remain disorganized, the system will only become more difficult to maintain, troubleshoot, and expand in the future.

Yeah, I still don't understand why the Flex has to be on a different subnet. Is it just because that's the only subnet that the Flex is near? I agree with the others that the architecture needs to be understood and straightened out before proceeding further.

my understanding is:
they have to be on the same subnet if multicast is used.

of they are on different subnets then you need to use unicast. unicast was added after multicast, so the option of using two different subnets has not always been available.