Communication between PLC, HMI and PC

professor

P
What kind of the cable I should use for communication between PLC, HMI and PC thru the hub? Is regular computer network cable going to be OK or I need to buy/make cable with twisted wires? What kind of driver I should use in RSLinx?
Thank you for your help.

Future professor of PLC

Hi future professor,

Cables, it all depends of what make and model of the PLC and the way of communications. Certain PLC allows to get connected in more than one means.

Not wanting to be rude, but if I were to ask you how do I get from the hotel to the restaurant and then to the mall and at what speed, would you be able to help me? :confused:

It obviously sounds like he is attempting to use ethernet to network the equipment. First, I would not use a hub. Buy a switch instead. You may already have a switch, as hubs are fairly rare anymore. If it is ethernet (the same connections your PC uses) you will need a switch. You will have to use twisted pair cat 5 cables just like you do with a computer. You could use a crossover style cable to go straight from the PLC to the HMI, but since you have a PC as well, you will need standard cables and a switch.

Matt

I think you are talking about ethernet communications, standard cat-5 with an ethernet switch would work, sounds like an Allen Bradly PLC or you wouldn't have mentioned RSLinx. There are drivers included with that program and configuring is easy. If you care to make your own cables you can.

bitmore

I also don't want to be rude, but if you're a future professor of PLC, then you need to do one thing first: RTFM - Read The Fine Manuals. Assuming you're talking about Allen-Bradley (you did mention RSLinx), they're all available on their website, they're very clear (at least compared to the ones from Siemens I'm used to read) and they're very complete. If afterwards something is not clear, come back here, register (preferrably) and put your questions on the forum. There's a whole bunch of very friendly people here who are eager to share their knowledge to the world.

As a current instructor of PLC (and PLCS.net member) that's the best advise I can give to a future colleague.

Kind regards,

wireless communication between pc and plc

hello
I m a very small guy in terms of knowledge in terms wid u people but i hav taken a project of wireless communication between pc and plc.
i have bought a cc2500 transceiver pair all worked up to plug and play between two pcs. now i want to know weather the same pair of transceivers wud work or not for wireless transmission between pc and plc.
Also i wud like to know weather rs232 communication is possible or not because the transceivers i hav baught hav rs232 comm ports.

please help.
waiting in anticipation for any help. thanks

hello
I m a very small guy in terms of knowledge in terms wid u people but i hav taken a project of wireless communication between pc and plc.
i have bought a cc2500 transceiver pair all worked up to plug and play between two pcs. now i want to know weather the same pair of transceivers wud work or not for wireless transmission between pc and plc.
Also i wud like to know weather rs232 communication is possible or not because the transceivers i hav baught hav rs232 comm ports.

please help.
waiting in anticipation for any help. thanks

I'm not familliar with those modules in particular but i've made some applications with modems for wireless transmision and if all worked fine between to pcs, i think there is no problem for them to work between a plc and a pc ..if you make the software on the plc correct...i don't know exactly what data you want to transmit.
About RS-232 i think that you connected the modules trough rs-232 also between pc's. Now the question is that if your plc has an rs-232 communication port that you can configure to send/receive data...most of them have or have slots for these...

Hope it helped you...