Automation direct Wireless Ethernet

HI I HAVE 5 EZTOUCH PANELS TALKING TO 1 DL260 VIA ETHERNET I AM WANTING TO CHANGE TO WIRELESS ETHERNET. WHAT I HAVE IS A NETGEAR WIRELESS ROUTER FOR THE PLC AND WIRELESS BRIDGES FOR THE EZTOUCH PANELS.ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT IS IN THE SAME ROOM WITH THE FARTHEST POINT BEING AROUND A 100' AWAY.I HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH WIRELESS ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APRECIATED.
THANK YOU BRETT

Marksji was on the money over at the AutomationDirect forum. Off the shelf stuff like the Netgear cannot hold up to the continuous data demands of a plc and touchscreen.

Marksji:
You're on the right track, but I'll throw in my two cents.
The "el cheapo" wireless AP's and bridges from Best Buy, CompUSA, etc won't be great. From personal experiance LinkSYS and Netgear both drop out after a couple of hours and while they reconnect most of the time the glitch is enough to upset the EZ-TOUCH. Also at least once a day you'll have to power cycle the bridges. Again I can only speak of LinkSYS and Netgear, but I'd doubt any of the other "el cheapo" solutions will work out very good.

Take a look at Trango Broadband (trangobroadband.com). I haven't used them for PLC communications yet, but our office internet has come in via a multi-hop trango link for about 3 years now with very few problems.

Also check out the iNET 900 from MDS (microwavedata.com). They are specifically designed for what you're trying to do.

Hope this helps!

HAS ANYONE USED SMC PRODUCTS SMC-2870W. WHAT I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IS IF I NEED TO USE BRIDGES, AP,ROUTERS ECT.I HAVE ALREADY RETURNED THE NETGEAR PRODUCTS. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

MY MAIN PROBLEM WITH THE WIRE IS IT IS RUN IN A FLEXABLE WIREWAY THAT TRAVELS BACK AND FORTH. AFTER ABOUT 8 MONTHS THE CAT 5 CABLE STARTS TO BREAK INTERNALY. IS THERE ANY INDUSTRIAL CAT 5 CABLE OUT THERE.

Admin

BRETT EPPERLEY said:
MY MAIN PROBLEM WITH THE WIRE IS IT IS RUN IN A FLEXABLE WIREWAY THAT TRAVELS BACK AND FORTH. AFTER ABOUT 8 MONTHS THE CAT 5 CABLE STARTS TO BREAK INTERNALY. IS THERE ANY INDUSTRIAL CAT 5 CABLE OUT THERE.

Basically if you use plentum (sorry may be spelled wrong) cat 5e cable, you will reduce your problem of failing cable. Plentum is rated for being run underground and is shielded. I ususally buy those cables from Beach Wire and Cable in California. You can purchase bulk cable and install ends yourself to save $$ if you so desire.

Hope that helps!

Laura

Admin

icky812 said:
Marksji was on the money over at the AutomationDirect forum. Off the shelf stuff like the Netgear cannot hold up to the continuous data demands of a plc and touchscreen.

Netgear and Linksys both reset after a certain amount of time with no communication. That is the "drop" that they are referring to. I would recommend going to Cisco gear. They make industrial application wireless. There are settings that can be made using Cisco gear to keep the timeouts to the bare minimum.

Low end wireless gear is not a reasonable solution for continuous wireless connections.

Hope that helps,

Laura

Brett,

Many of the cat 5 cables use solid conductors. You application would use a stranded conductor cable. Something like Draka Part No. JCC-4x20SH might better fit your application. (20 gage stranded conductors) This is actually elevator traveling cord, and provides years of servcie without breaking. Note: its not Cat 5 but actually better..

Mike,
You are right-on about the so-called "Cat 5" cable. It is dedsigned for low-noise communications, but has practically no resistance to vibration. After replacing a #24 AWG Category 5 data cable in a machine shop 2 times, I decided that the vibration from the overhead travelling crane was causing the wires to break inside the conduits. I finally bought some #16 shielded twisted pair cable. I have had no more trouble out of that circuit.

Brett,

After looking at the link Rolf provided above I would try that 1st. My guess is that you dont need wireless, but just the right cable..

Good Luck with it...