PanelViewPlus 1000 Ethernet Com

jgunnels

I have a PanelView plus on ethernet, Mainly reading and writing to a single Micrologix 1100 via ethernet.

I would like to be able to have the Panelview show there is loss of coms if for instance the ethernet cable is unplugged???
If I perform this test it looks like eveything is happy, Is there a setting in the panelview to have this happen? I cant seem to locate it anywhere online.

Thanks in Advance

Hi j

Not sure as I normally have number displays that display stars if there is no connection.
You could look at the help
Files I will. Have of open later and I will try a macro maybe.

Donnchadh

The communication loss timeout on the PanelView Plus is fairly long; I think it's about 30 seconds.

I use a pre-defined tag item in RSLinx Enterprise called @IsPresent. This tag is true (or =1) when the PanelView can communicate with the controller, and false (= 0) when it cannot.

That item does not indicate the Mode of the controller (Run, Program, Fault). For that, use the @Mode pre-defined item.

You can use that to animate a banner or indicator, or use it as an Alarm Trigger expression.

When you use it as an Alarm Trigger expression, there is the added benefit that it's logged in the Alarm History and can be seen in an Alarm List (or even downloaded later for viewing in the RSView Enterprise Log Viewer utility).

Trigger Values of zero are not valid in FactoryTalk View alarming, so my Alarm Trigger is an expression: NOT {[Logix]@IsPresent}

Placing a Powerup event flag in the Alarm List/Alarm History

While we're on the topic, I had something related that I tested this week and wanted to mention. It's very simple in retrospect, but I had not done it until now.

Step 1: I created an HMI Tag called 'Powerup_Flag'. It's a Digital type tag, with Memory selected as the data source. The Initial Value is zero, and the Retentive checkbox is cleared.

Step 2: I created a FactoryTalk View Macro called 'Startup'. All it does is set Powerup_Flag equal to 1.

Step 3: I configured the FactoryTalk View ME project to run the Startup macro when it started up. This is done in the Startup section of the project tree by choosing the name of the Startup macro in the 'Startup Macro' field, and checking the box next to that field to indicate you want that to run at startup.

Step 4: I used Powerup_Flag as an Alarm Trigger, with a message containing text to the effect of 'PanelView Plus has Rebooted'.

When the terminal powers up, the Powerup_Flag is set =1 and detected by the Alarm subsystem. This places a timestamped entry into the Alarm History where I can find it later, telling me that the terminal has been restarted or that the FactoryTalk View ME application has been restarted.

Because the tag is a Memory Tag with an initial value of 0, and it is not set to be Retentive, the tag is set back to zero the next time FactoryTalk View ME is started, so it can be detected as a value of 1 by the Alarm subsystem again.

Very often when I'm troubleshooting, I am told 'we never had a power outage, and we never shut the machine off'. This helps me tell customers exactly when one of those two things happened.

Trigger Values of zero are not valid in FactoryTalk View alarming, so my Alarm Trigge

Ken Roach,

When you say that you write this as an expression what do you mean by that my FT alarm editor doesnt seem to allow me to write the alarm triggers as an expresssion. But you are 100% right that it will not accept 0 as an input trigger. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated yesterday we had a spill at one of our facilities because the breaker for the PLC tripped the screen was still on and could have sent an alarm if I can figure out how to Use the @ispresent as an alarm trigger