allen bradley modbus question

gatfu

I have a ML AB 1400 which i am currently utilizing the ethernet port to communicate with. (HMI,PC,Etc.) My question is can i bring in device information from a third party device via modbus on the controller and still utilize the ethernet port as well? And if so can I incorporate that data directly to my program?

Do you want to use the Ethernet port configured for Modbus TCP? How is it configured now?

Channel 0 and channel 2 can be configured for Modbus RTU slave or master if you want, in addition to using the Ethernet port. All ports are independent of each other.

The data received can be used in your program.

I currently use the ethernet port as ip only for the HMI as well as prgramming. The device I would like to bring in is a generator which only has a modbus RTU port. So I would like to bring in that data and incorporate it to my programing and still be able to communicate with the plc through the HMI via IP.

I currently use the ethernet port as ip only for the HMI as well as prgramming. The device I would like to bring in is a generator which only has a modbus RTU port. So I would like to bring in that data and incorporate it to my programing and still be able to communicate with the plc through the HMI via IP.

That should work for you. As Mickey said, all the Ports are independent of each other. Any Data you bring in from the Generator will also be available to the HMI with proper Data Formatting.

Stu....

Definitely. You can configure either Channel 0 or Channel 2 for Modbus RTU Master, and use MSG instructions to read data from the generator.

Channel 0 has both RS-232 and '2-wire' RS-485 signal pins, and Channel 2 has only RS-232.